Options

Gallery Pricing problem??? AGAIN

JASPhotoJASPhoto Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited June 16, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Gallery Pricing problem???
<HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->For the 4th time - people are buying prints that I had set to 0.00 to NOT be sold - but they are available again with ZERO markup. and I get no notice of the sale and LOST business & profit.

I checked & rechecked my pricing and still sale are going through with NO MARKUP.
HOW CAN THIS BE ADDRESSED? WHEN?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Ps-
    The only reason I knew of this sale was the person made a order for 2
    correctly priced 4x6 - so the I was notified of the whole order.

here's the order-
    1 4 x 6 Print (Matte) $7.95 USD
    1 4 x 6 Print (Matte) $7.95 USD
    1 4 x 6 Print (Matte) $0.19 USD
    1 5 x 7 Print (Metallic) $1.36 USD
    1 8 x 10 Print (Metallic) $3.30 USD
    1 5 x 7 Print (Lustre) $0.99 USD
    1 4 x 6 Print (Metallic) $0.66 USD

As you can see 4x6 matte is set @ 7.95 but I see many being sold @ .19

Again How can this happen? - and if the persom did not order the 7.95-4x6 I WOULD NOT EVEN KNOW ABOUT IT.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Joe? What order # please?
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Joe, in your pricing you have items set for $1,000,000 !! If you don't want to sell these items you set the price to $0.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Joe? What order # please?
    Joe, I got the order # from our help desk team. Joe, I see you are upset here but when you post on Dgrin and write our heroes you cause use double the work, which means we can't help you as well or fast.

I'll be back shortly with another reply.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Sebastian was correct: "I'm very sorry about your troubles. This gallery was not priced entirely when the order was placed:
    http://gallery.jasphoto.com/gallery/8478310_EQJK7#557732207_CN9UQ

If you do not want to offer a certain print size, set it to 0.00 . There's no need to 10000 or anything. That might only scare your visitors off. "

And like we've suggested, please set portfolio pricing, it's your safety net. http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing

Joe, please let us know if you have questions here - let's get your pricing set straight, now, today. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    How Can This Be?????
    Andy - I posted to both because I needed a response ASAP. THESE WERE PRICED CORRECTLY. I've had this problem before. I changed some prices from 0.00 to 1000000 because SMUGMUG was giving the 0.00 images away for FREE and not telling me of the sale.

Now - after I was told that the galleries in question were GOOD & PRICE CORRECTLY - I got an email from your Heros - that an order (That I don't know about) is having difficulty because the client is trying to crop off the text (WATERMARK) HOW CAN THIS BE????? Would I have been notified it they tried to leave the watermark on and trim it off later?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    PLEASE STOP ALL "AT COST" SALES!!!!
    PLEASE TELL ME HOW MANY PRINTS WERE SOLD AY COST!!!!

ALSO - I Think this is a serious enought issue to warrent a phone call to me.

Thanks
    Joe

Andy wrote:
    Sebastian was correct: "I'm very sorry about your troubles. This gallery was not priced entirely when the order was placed:
    http://gallery.jasphoto.com/gallery/8478310_EQJK7#557732207_CN9UQ

If you do not want to offer a certain print size, set it to 0.00 . There's no need to 10000 or anything. That might only scare your visitors off. "

And like we've suggested, please set portfolio pricing, it's your safety net. http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing

Joe, please let us know if you have questions here - let's get your pricing set straight, now, today. Thanks!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    JASPhoto wrote:
    Andy - I posted to both because I needed a response ASAP. THESE WERE PRICED CORRECTLY. I've had this problem before. I changed some prices from 0.00 to 1000000 because SMUGMUG was giving the 0.00 images away for FREE and not telling me of the sale.

Now - after I was told that the galleries in question were GOOD & PRICE CORRECTLY - I got an email from your Heros - that an order (That I don't know about) is having difficulty because the client is trying to crop off the text (WATERMARK) HOW CAN THIS BE????? Would I have been notified it they tried to leave the watermark on and trim it off later?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    PLEASE STOP ALL "AT COST" SALES!!!!
    PLEASE TELL ME HOW MANY PRINTS WERE SOLD AY COST!!!!

Thanks
    Joe
    Unless there's a bug lurking in there, at cost sales only happen when you mark them up $0.00, not when the price is set to $0.00. There's a bit of a subtle difference and the user interface for pricing doesn't always make it obvious what you're doing.

Also, setting an average markup in your portfolio pricing is always a good backstop too so that nothing ever goes out at cost unless you specifically set it that way in the gallery or on the individual image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    John - While I agree - 0.00 is a BAD idea - there should be a "No Sale" setting for items & sizes & Paper types I do not want to sell.

I've had this issue a few times and I am very careful to visit my gallery from a seperate PC - not logged in - to check my prices. BUT CLIENTS are still buying prints at cost and I'm still not being notified of the sales unless like now they either order a normal priced item with the free ones or try to crop out my watermark.

I believe it's a bug or maybe something is set wrong but I've been assured these galleries are correct.

My portfolio pricing is already set to 0.00 to prevent unwanted sales.

Joe

jfriend wrote:
    Unless there's a bug lurking in there, at cost sales only happen when you mark them up $0.00, not when the price is set to $0.00. There's a bit of a subtle difference and the user interface for pricing doesn't always make it obvious what you're doing.

Also, setting an average markup in your portfolio pricing is always a good backstop too so that nothing ever goes out at cost unless you specifically set it that way in the gallery or on the individual image.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    JASPhoto wrote:
    John - While I agree - 0.00 is a BAD idea - there should be a "No Sale" setting for items & sizes & Paper types I do not want to sell.

I've had this issue a few times and I am very careful to visit my gallery from a seperate PC - not logged in - to check my prices. BUT CLIENTS are still buying prints at cost and I'm still not being notified of the sales unless like now they either order a normal priced item with the free ones or try to crop out my watermark.

I believe it's a bug or maybe something is set wrong but I've been assured these galleries are correct.

My portfolio pricing is already set to 0.00 to prevent unwanted sales.

Joe
    Since I don't work for Smugmug, I can't look at how you have your prices set on the problem images because I think that's what you need someone from Smugmug to do to figure out whether the issue is yours or theirs.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    JASPhoto wrote:

Thanks
    Joe
    Please Send email ATTN: Andy I'll arrange for a call.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Joe, I sent you a long email from the help desk... thanks.
  • Options
    TundrascoutTundrascout Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 14, 2009
    I have to agree that setting the pricing is less than intutive.
    First off, if you leave a highlighted field blank, something could go out the door un-noticed, yet, in order to use the more advanced pricing administation features you end up leaving the highlighted field blank?

I cant get pricing to work when someone selects "From this Gallery" but it works just fine when they select "This Photo"
    I cleared out/set to zero the pricing for everything but the "Portfolio" thinking everything flowed down from there.
    If someone cant figure out that the "From this Gallery" part doesnt work, they are just going to leave.
    I can select the item to put it in the cart, but I just doesnt update the cart
    I noticed IE wasnt accepting the smugmug cookie since "there is no privacy record on file"????
    I just started accepting all cookies now from smugmug and I get this:

Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Timestamp: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:55:58 UTC
    Message: 'this._watchEl.offsetWidth' is null or not an object
    Line: 3
    Char: 179
    Code: 0
    URI: http://cdn.smugmug.com/include/js/smugmug_tools-min-20090504180741.js

I think I need a flow chart!
    Going to have to disable my store until I can check back on a response here...
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    I have to agree that setting the pricing is less than intutive.
    First off, if you leave a highlighted field blank, something could go out the door un-noticed, yet, in order to use the more advanced pricing administation features you end up leaving the highlighted field blank?

I cant get pricing to work when someone selects "From this Gallery" but it works just fine when they select "This Photo"
    I cleared out/set to zero the pricing for everything but the "Portfolio" thinking everything flowed down from there.
    If someone cant figure out that the "From this Gallery" part doesnt work, they are just going to leave.
    I can select the item to put it in the cart, but I just doesnt update the cart
    I noticed IE wasnt accepting the smugmug cookie since "there is no privacy record on file"????
    I just started accepting all cookies now from smugmug and I get this:

Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Timestamp: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:55:58 UTC
    Message: 'this._watchEl.offsetWidth' is null or not an object
    Line: 3
    Char: 179
    Code: 0
    URI: http://cdn.smugmug.com/include/js/smugmug_tools-min-20090504180741.js

I think I need a flow chart!
    Going to have to disable my store until I can check back on a response here...
    Hi, please write our help desk http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal so that our team of heroes can help you asap. Thanks!
  • Options
    tznal94931tznal94931 Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited June 16, 2009
    food for thought ...
    I think part of the problem is that SmugMug is trying to take something designed for public use and jerry-rig it to serve the needs of "pros" who are trying to use it for a business purpose. Whether it be from the standpoint of pricing issues, or the lack of package pricing and coupons, or the fact that users can always get into the "non-pro" sections of SmugMug via the help screens, or a myriad of other issues, it is a very different beast to serve the needs of business and profit than simply to share photos and communicate with others who have the love of the world through the lens. I am nearing the end of my trial period, and while I love the "look" of Smug Mug, I've pretty much determined that without package pricing, I can't run my business and be as successful as I need to be. Sad, but .... :cry