Lonely

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited June 10, 2009 in Landscapes
I spent the evening at Torrey Pines State Park on Saturday, watching the sunset with just me and my camera (not really "lonely" that just seems to fit this image :D ). Here's the first processed shot from the evening.

560062821_uwjbd-XL.jpg

It's a blend of a 1 mintue exposure and a 2 minute exposure both taken about a half hour after the sun went down.

Comments & Suggestions always welcome! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Great, Chris! The long exposure with clouds is always a treat I think, giving motion right next to something like the tower that is so static. :D

I wish there was more ambient light on the near side of the tower, just to we could see it a bit better.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    That's really splendid! Wonderful how you preserved detail in the structure and the beach. I think there is just the right amount of light on the structure. The structure is a strange thing, a failure from Camelot?mwink.gif

Seems nice and clean too. Did you use your listed gear?

Would suggest thinking about that something-or-other in the water just right of the steps.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Great shot Chris. clap.gif What filters did you use to get such long exposures?

Dan
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Beautiful shot in every way, Chris! I love the subtle colors and the contrast of the cloud motion with the apparent stillness of the water.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Great, Chris! The long exposure with clouds is always a treat I think, giving motion right next to something like the tower that is so static. :D

I wish there was more ambient light on the near side of the tower, just to we could see it a bit better.

Thank you Schmoo!! :D

On this moniter (at work) I agree... That layer, the 2-minute one to expose for the tower, looked quite a bit lighter at home... guess it's time to check the calibration!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Looks good Chris. Capturing the last bit of twilight like that is the proper way to say goodbye to a great day (IMO).
    Anybody can do it.
    edited June 10, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    That's really splendid! Wonderful how you preserved detail in the structure and the beach. I think there is just the right amount of light on the structure. The structure is a strange thing, a failure from Camelot?mwink.gif

Seems nice and clean too. Did you use your listed gear?

Would suggest thinking about that something-or-other in the water just right of the steps.

Thanks Neil! :D

It's actually the back side of a life guard tower, all closed up for the evening.

This shot was done with my XTi and the Tamron 19-35mm. It was really a "cheapo" lens (about $25 on ebay) but it's quickly becoming my favorite lens, at least until I can afford a Canon (or even a Sigma) 10-22mm.

I believe the "something-or-other" is a pile of kelp that's washed ashore, I'll clone that out tongiht! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited June 10, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great shot Chris. clap.gif What filters did you use to get such long exposures?

Dan

Thanks, Dan! thumb.gif

No filters were (mis) used in the making of this image! rolleyes1.gif
    I watched (and photographed) the sun go down at the far end of the beach, so by the time I made it back here near my car, it took a 1 minute exposure to get the shot of the sky and 2 minutes to get anything but a silhoutte of the life gaurd tower!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited June 10, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Beautiful shot in every way, Chris! I love the subtle colors and the contrast of the cloud motion with the apparent stillness of the water.

Thank you Mahesh! thumb.gif

The more I shoot, the more I'm a fan of getting some motion in a shot (or at least getting 1 or two shots each time with some motion) and the clouds on Saturday gave me the perfect subject for it!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited June 10, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    Looks good Chris. Capturing the last bit of twilight like that is the proper way to say goodbye to a great day (IMO).

Thanks Walter! thumb.gif

I absolutely agree! Unless I'm under strict time constraints, I like to try for these type of twilight shots whenever I'm out, these colors usually range from good to awesome!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos