Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Fantastic.

Great timing - great sharpness, great color - the whole deal. Very well done.
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,779 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
  • Options
    SnapLocallySnapLocally Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    I agree with the previous responses. Amazing shot, just love it.
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Awesome thumb.gif
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Amazing capture! But.....I have to ask......was that a well timed single capture? Or was it the best from a motorized burst?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    Amazing capture! But.....I have to ask......was that a well timed single capture? Or was it the best from a motorized burst?

I don't know why that would matter. I wouldn't respect the shot any less if there were a pic taken immediately before and after it.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I don't know why that would matter. I wouldn't respect the shot any less if there were a pic taken immediately before and after it.

I absolutely respect the shot! And either method is fine, and detracts -0- from the capture. But from a technique perspective, I was simply curious if this was a 1-shot versus a 1-from-many shot.
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    I absolutely respect the shot! And either method is fine, and detracts -0- from the capture. But from a technique perspective, I was simply curious if this was a 1-shot versus a 1-from-many shot.

Ahh, I see.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Thanks again guys.

The shot was timed.

I'm shooting with a 40D. While it has a respectable 6.5 frames per second, I rarely take more than 2 consecutive shots in a burst. Plus, I used High ISO Noise Reduction, lowering my buffer to 6 shots from a potential 75. I was reluctant to use it at first, but timing is so much more important than burst rate when shooting combat sports, that it became a no-brainer to save time with both post processing, and with not having duplicate shots to weed through.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Thanks again guys.

The shot was timed.

I'm shooting with a 40D. While it has a respectable 6.5 frames per second, I rarely take more than 2 consecutive shots in a burst. Plus, I used High ISO Noise Reduction, lowering my buffer to 6 shots from a potential 75. I was reluctant to use it at first, but timing is so much more important than burst rate when shooting combat sports, that it became a no-brainer to save time with both post processing, and with not having duplicate shots to weed through.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes the shot even that much more impressive! Well done!! clap.gif
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Thanks.

A funny fact about the photo:

I almost missed it entirely- not the shot itself, but that it even existed. I just skimmed through my pictures, and assumed I already found the best ones from the event. I didn't even see it until a good month after I took it.

11doh.gif
  • Options
    RxRickRxRick Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Ow
    That... is one scary dude. Nice shot.

--RxRick
  • Options
    ClaireJClaireJ Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Wow - that's a fantastic photo! The effect of the punch is carved across that poor man's face.

Brilliant workclap.gif
    ClaireJ
    Northampton Saints - Images from the European Challenge Cup Champions 2009
    http://www.redhatphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    Thank you, and thank you.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    Here's an example of particularly bad lighting:

2.jpg

F/2, 1/200, iso 3200, and it was still 2 stops underexposed, thanks to this venues choice in lighting- exposed tungsten bulbs.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    That is some crazy noise reduction work you are doing there.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    That is some crazy noise reduction work you are doing there.

Well, in theory I've effectively shown an example of the 40D at iso 12,800 (pulling an underexposed iso 3200 up two stops), so yeah. I just wanted to show some of the less than stellar environments I work in, and that it could be done, not that I recommend it.
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Hey Snap...

How'd you get into shooting boxing events? I'm a huge boxing fan and it is one of my dreams to be able to shoot an event like this. I don't care what level fighter they are, I just want to shoot boxing. Of all sports, I think boxing lends itself as one of the best for photography. The intimacy of the shot, along with the drama, power and dynamic nature of the sport makes for some awesome shots.

BTW, I admire your work quite a bit. I think the POV of your shots and the quality of your images are outstanding.

Man... any tips you can give me on getting in to shoot an event would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Thanks.

To make a long story very short, I proclaimed myself a "fight photographer" (I had shot a few MMA events prior to shooting boxing) and sought permission to get into a big event. It was granted within a few hours, and there I was- shooting an event in the biggest venue in town in front of ten thousand people, surrounded by real media, and there's me- a digital Rebel, used Tamron lens, and no clue how to shoot this sport. Fast forward 2 1/2 years later, I've now shot something in the neighborhood of 50 events (boxing, kickboxing, MMA and seminars), am the most recognized fight photographer in my state, and have garnered some national attention by being published in a few MMA magazines (including the current issue of Real Fighter Magazine).

As far as getting into an event... it's not always easy, but you could try reaching out to a promoter. Knowing some of the industry insiders such as fighters would help your chances, too.

-Jason
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Jason,

Your reply gives me hope. If I'm good at one thing, it's talking my way into and out of situations. I do know some lower level MMA fighters so I may start there. I think what I need to do is check out some local boxing venues and see what I can get myself into. I live on Southern California so it shouldn't be too hard to find something I can shoot.

Thanks and wish me luck.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site