Black & White

BkodgerBkodger Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
edited June 16, 2009 in People
I took this last week just as a quick shot of my wife and son. Just wanted to share.

560826783_8V7BH-L.jpg
Nikon D610
70-200 f.28, 24-85
www.PhotoExpectations.com

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Looks like you are getting lots of views and no responses....ne_nau.gif

This is a tender moment well captured, and is exactly the type of thing we all like to see in family photo albums. Im sure they will both cherish this in the years ahead. Great capture.thumb.gif

The processing, I believe, is detracting from the image. The biggest issue I see is with the added frame. If it must have a frame, I'd try it with just solid black and skip on the orange pinstripe. It is a bright distraction from a very low key image.

Im sure you purposely decided to go with low key processing, but still...Id like to see a bit more contrast....bringing the whites up a tad.

Thanks for sharing!
  • BkodgerBkodger Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Thank you for your comments.

I will try the things you suggested and see how that turns out with the processing and frame.
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    With respect to Jeff, I find myself disagreeing with him about the frame.

There is the risk of this pic, with its very subdued tones, becoming overly solemn and pious.

I really like the orange stripe for bringing it back away from that precipice. It also gives it some decorative panache.

I do agree with Jeff that the subjects are too weakly presented. I would use the directional light you have on them, carefully emphasise that as it illuminates heads, faces and hands - like center lightening, but don't wake them!mwink.gif

There is a nice jumble around them, but the boy's leg needs pushing back.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited June 11, 2009
    The dose of color was just to throw a bit of color into the image so it wasn't all a black and white (dark) image. I can see the point made about using it, but like the fact it was seen by another what my intent was.

Thank you both for you comments.
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 11, 2009
    This is a tender moment of a mother's love, and the delicate tones show respect for the moment.

I would crop this much closer, as a large portion of this image has little to do with the emotions captured.

I think the image is much flatter than needed, and seriously lacks contrast.

Most of the pixels barely read 60,60,60 and even the specular highlights of her bracelet barely get to 187,1897,187 and they should read much, much higher as a specular light reflection.

I have attached what I would prefer as a crop, and increased the contrast a mite as well - if this is upsetting, please let me know and I will delete my post.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 12, 2009
    Not upsetting at all. I'll take anything that I can learn from...and speaking of, I don't know much about the numbers you were just stating, sorry lol

All advice is welcome though.
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Fad2blk wrote:
    Not upsetting at all. I'll take anything that I can learn from...and speaking of, I don't know much about the numbers you were just stating, sorry lol

This is indeed a wonderfully captured real moment. And if you really want advice...

One, I would not crop as some have suggested. The way you've presented it I have a feel for the situation; with the crop I do not. Yes, it could be tightened a bit, but not much.

Next, I would definitely, always, lose the damn caption. This photo speaks for itself - which should be your goal with any photo. Let the viewer decide if they are beauties. For that matter, let the viewer decide if one or both are sleeping. :-)

Lose the orange - it's terribly distracting.

Next, I would not highlight the bracelet. The subject here is/are the faces - you don't want a piece of jewelry jumping out in the foreground.

Yes, it is too dark and muddy over all. I would try reconverting it to bw.

For what it's worth, I start with a fixed setting of 43-34-23 in the channel mixer, followed by an unsharp mask of 50-15-0, which provides a bit of a pop, followed by a curve, which I'd be happy to send to you.

Best
    B. D.
    www.bdcolenphoto.net
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited June 12, 2009
    Fad2blk wrote:

How did you do the black and white conversion?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 15, 2009
    Thanks for the advice BDColen. As for the B&W conversion, I just used the image>Adj>black and white. I know there are better ways, just not sure how to do them. I'm all ears if you'd like to explain though :D
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    There is a ton of information about this here. Whatever else you do, be sure to read this. If you don't, you won't understand what's going on behind the curtain of B&W conversion.

Also, this.

Also, you might want to google for "Silver Efex Pro" which will get you a long way without having to know too much.

B.D. has his own technique. I've seen it in action over and over. I'd like to see him post in on The Finishing School where it will get more attention and last longer than if he posts it here. Then he won't have to keep reposting every time someone asks.
    If not now, when?
    edited June 15, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    There is a ton of information about this here. Whatever else you do, be sure to read this. If you don't, you won't understand what's going on behind the curtain of B&W conversion.

Also, this.

Also, you might want to google for "Silver Efex Pro" which will get you a long way without having to know too much.

B.D. has his own technique. I've seen it in action over and over. I'd like to see him post in on The Finishing School where it will get more attention and last longer than if he posts it here. Then he won't have to keep reposting every time someone asks.

Thank you! I'll get to reading bowdown.gif
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 15, 2009
    rutt wrote:

I would certainly be interesting in seeing it. I'm always eager to see different ways of doing things.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Here is an idea following my earlier crit and the OP's preferences. I used some of justthorne's technology, tho he can't be blamed for the effects of my innocence and inexperiencemwink.gif

564474030_XdYgh-O.jpg

Regards.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited June 16, 2009
    rutt wrote:

Also, this.

Done!

It's here

If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to ask them.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com