If you have a Canon 50D

jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited June 16, 2009 in Cameras
Do you recommend it? What do you like about it? Not like about it? What do you use it for? I'm in the market for a semi-pro or pro camera and am deciding between Canon and Nikon.

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    I've had one since they came out and I love it. It is much faster than my previous XSi and it has great features and build quality. The 1.6 crop serves me well since I do quite a bit of wildlife photography and one can never have enough focal length. The 6.3 fps is also a plus.

I cannot think of anything that I do not like about the 50D. If I were to do strictly landscapes and people I would probably go to a full frame 5DII. Maybe someday.

HTH

Dan
  • LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Absolutely, you will love it. For a "pro-sumer" model, it feels wonderful in your hand, balances well, the 1.6 crop factor works with all wildlife as stated and also makes for longer faster lenses for less $$$clap.gif . As for resolution, IMHO 95% of "us" probalbly can't take advantage of what this camera has to offerthumb.gif . Buy one, or steal one but do it NOW!!!! You won't regret it.
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
  • tanglefoot47tanglefoot47 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    jennievii wrote:
    Do you recommend it? What do you like about it? Not like about it? What do you use it for? I'm in the market for a semi-pro or pro camera and am deciding between Canon and Nikon.

I love mine but I am also very happy with the 40D which at times I think is a little sharper image wise

Mike
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    I have a combo 50D + 5D2.
    50D gives me an access to my 10-22 and 17-55 and gets an extra reach with 100-400.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 11, 2009
    I love mine but I am also very happy with the 40D which at times I think is a little sharper image wise

Mike

??

Sharpness should be a function of lens resolving power, unless your 50D has an error in focusing.
    A 50D offers you to customize the focusing accuracy that the 40D does not. Have you tried this?

I shoot both, and fine both are fine cameras. The Live View on the 50D is better set up, as the 40D won't AF with Live View.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cchazercchazer Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 11, 2009
    Love mine, I am new to photography, originally about 6 months ago I bought a Rebel XSi, after about 3 months I upgraded to a 50D, let me tell you, it is WAY better than the XSi.

a few things for me are more ISO range, frames per second, large body, (fits in your hands better, especially with the battery grip)

you will have no regrets.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I have a pair of the 50D cameras and find them quite servicable for weddings, portraits, events, landscapes, etc.

Would I trade one (or both) for one or a pair of 5DII cameras? nod.gifmwink.gif That's a real no-brainer for me. But, like most things, it's the $$$ holding me back.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I have a 50D I purchased recently, after several years with a 30D. The 50D was an amazing upgrade, including resolution, noise reduction, sensor cleaning, and live-view among many other features. The motor burst rate is amazing. And it has so many "tweakability" built in, such as spot removal and lens specific focus adjustments.

For the money, I find the 50D to be remarkable. The only drawback, is that it doesn't have video recording capability (although I'll bet the next generation will. mwink.gif ) Video is not a big deal for me, but if HD, it can open up additional creative possibilities.

I sincerely doubt you would be dissappointed with a 50D.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I upgraded to a 50D from an XTi about 6 weeks ago. I love the 50D. It is solid as a rock, has much better and easier controls, and great ergonomics. I have been very pleased by image quality. It is bigger and heavier than a Rebel, but for my purposes, that is a price I am happy to pay.
    edited June 12, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    And it has so many "tweakability" built in, such as spot removal and lens specific focus adjustments.

What is "spot removal"?ne_nau.gif
    edited June 12, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    What is "spot removal"?ne_nau.gif

If there is dust on the sensor that the "self cleaning" won't eliminate, you can actually go thru a process to identify the location of the dust spot in the frame, and the camera will electronically spot clone the location to eliminate the spot on the image. I haven't used it yet; I've been very impressed with how clean the sensor is maintained by the automatic sensor cleaning each time the camera is turned on & off.
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited June 12, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    If there is dust on the sensor that the "self cleaning" won't eliminate, you can actually go thru a process to identify the location of the dust spot in the frame, and the camera will electronically spot clone the location to eliminate the spot on the image. I haven't used it yet; I've been very impressed with how clean the sensor is maintained by the automatic sensor cleaning each time the camera is turned on & off.

I didn't know that. I'll have to check that out, although I just cleaned my sensor using the copper hill method for the first time.
  • samdodsonsamdodson Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    jennievii wrote:

If I was you, I'd wait a few extra months and purchase the 60D.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    samdodson wrote:
    If I was you, I'd wait a few extra months and purchase the 60D.
    Or another 18 months for the 70Dheadscratch.gifmwink.gif There's no percentage in waiting. Get what you need when you need it and don't look back. There will always be the next best thing right around the corner and if you continually wait for it, you will never get the tools you need to get the job done.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 16, 2009
    Or another 18 months for the 70Dheadscratch.gifmwink.gif There's no percentage in waiting. Get what you need when you need it and don't look back. There will always be the next best thing right around the corner and if you continually wait for it, you will never get the tools you need to get the job done.

15524779-Ti.gif Waiting gets you nothing, literally.

Make a plan with reasonable goals and then follow the plan. Adjust accordingly. Doing nothing should not be part of the plan.

I bought the 40D just before the 50D was announced. It had already gone through 2 major price reductions and was a mature product so I knew what I was getting. The 40D had the features I was looking for and I am very pleased with the performance.

I have no regrets, only some images which I enjoy.

Recently shot with the 40D:

565376463_e58Wb-O.jpg

555446663_tSUEk-O.jpg

565376499_oxKhH-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I didn't know that. I'll have to check that out, although I just cleaned my sensor using the copper hill method for the first time.

I believe there's other threads with more details, but be careful when sensor cleaning the later DSLR's with ultrasonic cleaning systems. As I understand it, they have a small "tray" at the bottom of the sensor with a sticky substance that "captures" the dust vibrated off the sensor surface whenever the ultrasonic cleaning is conducted. I've read stories where the sticky substance was smeared onto the sensor during the manual cleaning (like Copper Hill method..) procedure. Apparently at that point, the camera requires professional attention to clear the smearing.
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com