Options

Pet Photography???

jfcpetersjfcpeters Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited May 18, 2004 in The Big Picture
First of all, I'd like to give everyone a big Texas "Howdy!" My name is Jen, and I currently live in Texas. I'm still a Kentuckian at heart, but "Howdy" sounds so much better than just a plain old "Hi!" Lol....

I've always been interested in photography, but more along the lines of the "official family photographer" level...especially after I got into scrapbooking. Last year though, I bought a digital camera, and I've really been wanting to improve my skills from "snapshot" to "ooohh! ahhhh!" But I'll settle for a "hey, cool!" at this point. *grin!*

I have my own Professional Pet Sitting business, and I am considering adding pet photography as a sorta sideline. I am thinking about leaving candid shots for the owners of the pets I care for, as "treats" when they return home from vacation. Are there any tricks to candid pet shots? (Besides getting close and taking LOTS of pics in hopes of getting a good one?)

Also, should I somehow label the back of the photos? I'm thinking about some kind of label that perhaps showcases my Pet Sitting biz....like mini advertising. But I'm also wondering if I should consider "copywrite" issues as the photographer. I'm hoping that some day my skills may be good enough to offer pet photography as a mini-sideline.

Any hints or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jen in N. TX

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2004
    jfcpeters wrote:
    First of all, I'd like to give everyone a big Texas "Howdy!" My name is Jen, and I currently live in Texas. I'm still a Kentuckian at heart, but "Howdy" sounds so much better than just a plain old "Hi!" Lol....

I've always been interested in photography, but more along the lines of the "official family photographer" level...especially after I got into scrapbooking. Last year though, I bought a digital camera, and I've really been wanting to improve my skills from "snapshot" to "ooohh! ahhhh!" But I'll settle for a "hey, cool!" at this point. *grin!*

I have my own Professional Pet Sitting business, and I am considering adding pet photography as a sorta sideline. I am thinking about leaving candid shots for the owners of the pets I care for, as "treats" when they return home from vacation. Are there any tricks to candid pet shots? (Besides getting close and taking LOTS of pics in hopes of getting a good one?)

Also, should I somehow label the back of the photos? I'm thinking about some kind of label that perhaps showcases my Pet Sitting biz....like mini advertising. But I'm also wondering if I should consider "copywrite" issues as the photographer. I'm hoping that some day my skills may be good enough to offer pet photography as a mini-sideline.

Any hints or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jen in N. TX
    Welcome Jen!

I'm sure there are many folks other than me that are better qualified with good advice and hints. Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and really look forward to seeing your pet shots.
    Lynn:D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2004
    wave.gif Hiya jen! Here are are a couple of thoughts:

1. If you've giving them the photo for free, make it small one. Let them know they can but a larger print if they want (I have a feeling pet owners are suckers for pics of their pets.)

2. Find a nice style, then use it on the front bottom corner of each print, with your business name and contact info. It will remind them of who you are, and how to get in touch with you should they want a larger print. Who could complain about tasteful type on a free pic of their pet?

Dunno about posing pets. Reckon you're right about taking lots of shots - gotta love digital! Think having a treat in your hand will make them pay attention and face the camera?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    jfcpetersjfcpeters Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2004
    1. If you've giving them the photo for free, make it small one.

2. Find a nice style, then use it on the front bottom corner of each print, with your business name and contact info.

My Hubby got me the new PictureMate by Epson for Mother's Day. It prints out incredible looking 4x6 photos. I originally planned on using it for my scrapbooking hobby, but figured that it would also be useful for leaving little "gifts" for my clients. However, I plan on refering them to my SmugMug page if they'd like reprints.

When you mentioned adding text to the photo...is this something I can do with PSP, or would that have to be done at a pro lab? I'm pretty sure I could add something with PSP to a copy of the original, but it wouldn't have that "engraved" look that I've seen.

Thanks!

Jen in N. TX
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2004
    I don't know what version of PSP you have, but I'm sure it supports nice fonts. You might send Cletus a PM, or better yet, just start a thread in the Photoshop Shenanigans forum. That way everyone with PSP can learn along with you.

Cletus knows everything about these programs!

By the way, 4x6 is really big - if it's nice they won't be asking for a better one, they'll be quite happy with the freebie. I'm thinking that if you actually wanted to make a few $$, you might make the freebie quite a bit smaller. ne_nau.gif ('Course, money may not be your object!)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au