#27 C&C Welcome

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited June 14, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
The theme: Cherries.

Here are the options - pretty much in order of my liking. I'd appreciate any thoughts/preferences/suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Reshoot of #1 added!

1 - Original
561322654_VbzVi-M.jpg

1 - Reshoot
562494688_LJBpp-M.jpg

561319679_w7oLg-M.jpg

561317960_Q8kvq-M.jpg
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Number 1 is my fav. Wow....that is a very, very narrow DOF...yet I'm able to clearly identify your subject cherry (those are sour cherries, right?). I love the little catchlight reflections.....they look so tasty!

Maybe just a smidge of a crop off the bottom?

My only other thought, perhaps you contemplated this, but I wonder how this would have looked if your subject had a stem.

Very nice! Love the flow of this composition.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    I like #1.. it is your strongest contender.. however, there is just something about that missing stem, especially on your main subject cherry... if you can't reshoot, I would use layers and blend one in from one of the other composites you posted here...

I was wondering when someone was going to do some fruit.. refreshing...thumb.gif
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    #1 is great, however I believe it can be even better if you increase the DOF a little bit, currently it is a bit too narrow IMO.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    #1 is the winner. I agree that the stem would improve it but I don't think it's a deal breaker. I also like the shallow DOF... I think it works here but I kind of dig the use of shallow DOF so I am a little biased.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    My .02 , #1 agreed with others DOF increase. If front (like in #3) cherry in focus then defocus past the one that is in focus now keeping that one in focus too.
    Life a bowl of Cherries!!
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Thanks, guys! All very useful suggestions. I am a lover of ridiculously narrow DOF so I'll probably keep that the same, but I'll try to reshoot today to see if I can get one with a stem in a similar position.

Somehow I managed to only eat one so far... I don't know how much longer I can resist! :)

Thanks again!
    Webpage

edited June 12, 2009
    Ya know Cherries are super healthy for the female.. I hear they help with mood swings..Need to go out and buy some...eek7.gifivar

Looking forward to your new shoot.. and I think the stem is a wise choice.. just be sure to keep it within the focus range.. I noticed on the ones you posted with stems, some of the stems were there, but because they got thrown out of focus you really can't see them well..

Good luck with it...thumb.gifD

Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Ya know Cherries are super healthy for the female.. I hear they help with mood swings..Need to go out and buy some...eek7.gifivarKat

He Kat, ya know what else helps those? Punching someone. Works every time! :lol
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Nice shots. I like #1 best.

I thought of cherries, but didn't do it nearly as well as these. bowdown.gif
    edited June 12, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    He Kat, ya know what else helps those? Punching someone. Works every time! :lol

15524779-Ti.gif>>>>> Donna, your a bad influence on me....:nono

Don't listen to her Kinkajou.. stick with the cherries...thumb.gif
    edited June 12, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif>>>>> Donna, your a bad influence on me....:nono

Don't listen to her Kinkajou.. stick with the cherries...thumb.gif

Ha ha! I'll do my best. I'm just about to sit down and reshoot, so the new version should be up tonight!
    Webpage

edited June 12, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Ha ha! I'll do my best. I'm just about to sit down and reshoot, so the new version should be up tonight!

Can't wait to see!! Wish I wasn't at work right now....
    - Christopher
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Bliss
    I love this shot. The wandering cherry is sublime.

562494688_LJBpp-M.jpg
    edited June 13, 2009
    Super......thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

The re-shoot nailed it... awesome way you shot these, and the stem is the cherry on top!!!iloveyou.gif really grounds it..

Nice work thumb.gif

Kat
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Yup...this one's really a keeper! Very nice & the stem does set off that lone cherry quite nicely. thumb.gif I think it's safe to eat them now. :D

Sherry
    edited June 13, 2009
    Stellar!!! I've been waiting for this shot since yesterday.

Fantastic...you were able to keep the insanely shallow DOF and pull off the cherry with stem in focus. iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

I would fix nothing....submit as is!
    - Christopher
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    HA! I'm so glad I saw this BEFORE working on a 2nd possible shot... which is the 8lbs or so of cherries I picked this afternoon! Not nearly as pretty as yours (they're already pitted and somewhat sloppy) :D

I love the wandering cherry as well - great job, especially successful invoking the rich colour we know is there, which is REALLY hard to do in BW (as I discovered.... rolleyes1.gif)
    edited June 14, 2009
    thanks, guys! you were a great help.

i'm glad you're satisfied because the subjects are unavailable for another reshoot... yum:D
    Webpage