My first senior boy shoot

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited June 13, 2009 in People
This is Steven...nice young man who had his senior portraits done by one of those big companies but they were not satisfied. So here he is.... had some trouble with posing as I have only worked with girls before but I hope you will think they are ok. Any c/c appreciated and welcomed. Any boy posing ideas?

561377331_CtRVq-L-1.jpg

561377722_PB7aB-L-1.jpg

561379736_zGVxw-L-1.jpg

561376314_eYmH8-M-1.jpg

561375368_kn4Wq-L-1.jpg

561372644_LLxaK-L-1.jpg

561372972_MiEnE-L-1.jpg

561374262_mg6F6-L-1.jpg

561375588_xypHT-L-1.jpg

561381146_W9CVb-L-1.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I really like all your closer shots- great eyes. Nope, no suggestions for boy poses. Haven't had the chance to work with teen boys yet. Guys are hard!

Caroline
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Not sure how much my opinion is worth but I'm not crazy about number 7...seems the "area" dominates the photo, like he's saying "look at this!" (that was my initial reaction to that photo)...however I think the rest are fantastic! I always think your work is great though!
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    My favourites are 5, 8 and 10

I find the background in #1 cluttered and distracting.

#7 I'm not a fan of spread legs like that - just a personal preference.

Boy posing is tough because a lot of the angles that you'd do for a girl tend to make guys look feminine (looking up over the shoulder, for example).

Nicely done set.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I really like all your closer shots- great eyes. Nope, no suggestions for boy poses. Haven't had the chance to work with teen boys yet. Guys are hard!

Caroline

Thanks Caroline! Yes his eyes were really sparkly. Don't know exactly where I was getting the reflection from in them, but I was glad I did!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited June 12, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Not sure how much my opinion is worth but I'm not crazy about number 7...seems the "area" dominates the photo, like he's saying "look at this!" (that was my initial reaction to that photo)...however I think the rest are fantastic! I always think your work is great though!

Thanks for the compliment...I agree with the "area" but put it in here just because I didn't have alot of full shots. He probably loves it though eek7.gif I was mesmerized by the eyes so kept my focus on them and got alot of close ups.
    edited June 12, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:
    My favourites are 5, 8 and 10

I find the background in #1 cluttered and distracting.

#7 I'm not a fan of spread legs like that - just a personal preference.

Boy posing is tough because a lot of the angles that you'd do for a girl tend to make guys look feminine (looking up over the shoulder, for example).

Nicely done set.

Thanks very much for your comment. you bet boy posing is tough! I was letting him pose himself quite often but would have to occasionally tell him..no....to girly. And as for #1, I'm going to try to fix that clutter somehow...on second glance I see what you are talking about.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Try shooting on the level...
    This is Steven...nice young man who had his senior portraits done by one of those big companies but they were not satisfied. So here he is.... had some trouble with posing as I have only worked with girls before but I hope you will think they are ok. Any c/c appreciated and welcomed. Any boy posing ideas?

...which is to say, shoot his face on his level, rather than from above. Keep in mind that shoot from above, or below, exentuates features - noses, chins, fat, etc. You can certainly try shooting high, low, left right, etc., but do that to figure out how he looks best.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    OK, here we go…

1: "Hood ornament on a truck" - need I say more?
    2: very good; smile and he's looking into the camera (v. good!)
    3: good, but by changing the viewpoint slightly, you could have kept the tree away from his head, or thrown it more out of focus by using a narrower depth of field.
    4: He looks stupid (although not as much as if he'd been wearing a miner's hat with a lamp… :D )
    5: Really nice! Could be cropped tighter, but best expression of the lot!
    6: Pretty good, but the bricks are distracting; crop tighter?
    7: Interesting composition, but I wonder if you'd ever get a girl to pose like that? eek7.gif
    8: He looks like he's got toothache…
    9: Excellent! Great job! (Right-side is definitely his best profile)
    10: Argggh! it's that bloody truck again! Also, he's looking off camera (A Bad Thing!)

…er, that's it (well, you did ask! mwink.gif )

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    I am sure he is very comfortable with his appearance, BUT in some of the shots I might have toned down the mole just a tad. It needs to be there but it jumps out a bit too much for me in some shots and is distracting.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    This guy seems to be proud of that truck, probably got it as a graduation present, or was his first purchase with his hard earned money. Either way, I would have gotten more poses with the truck. One that might have worked would be with the hood open, with him on one side doing something like checking his oil, and you shooting from the other side. Other ideas would be him sitting in his truck. Here you could have the door open, with him sitting sideways on the seat, with his legs hanging out, or the door closed with the window open and his arm resting on the door, with him looking into the mirror. Another shot would have been shooting the image of him in the mirror. Here you could have concentrated on his eyes a little more. Just a few ideas that came to mind.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams