Night Blooming Cereus

ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited June 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Last year I was introduced to Night Blooming Cereus flowers --- they bloom once, then die, and then we get dragonfruit/pitaya. The house I rent, has 5 different varieties of the cactus on the property...here are a few of my shots. I played with aperture and exposure, light from a maglight covered in white linen and white LED light shown onto a white foamcore board at various angles to the flowers.

Enjoy!

Before the bloom:
548043276_qDHJd-L.jpg

548043263_WTgFv-L.jpg

The frilly variety:
549142187_oJ5MG-L.jpg

The flat petal variety (this one is my favorite):
549086681_UnJMa-L.jpg

More artistic:
549085330_gvDZh-L.jpg

And the one I call "Fairy Light" (for which I wish I had gotten more stem...unfortunately I shot in JPG instead of RAW)
549085325_j8CnM-L.jpg

For perspective --- the frilly ones were the size of an outstretched hand...the flat petal twice that size!

Frilly ones:
549085311_tTkiX-L.jpg

Hope you enjoy these! I will take feedback...it's all been a learning process, especially depth of field and where to focus.

Adrienne

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Absolutely beautiful!!!!! I just replied to your post from my shot. I really like the two lone blooms with black; gorgeous lighting!!!!!! The bloom looks identical to the one I took but a totally different plant. Interesting... and I have a Night Blooming Cerius but looks nothing like yours. So do you mean there are different varieties of night blooming cerius?
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Absolutely beautiful!!!!! I just replied to your post from my shot. I really like the two lone blooms with black; gorgeous lighting!!!!!! The bloom looks identical to the one I took but a totally different plant. Interesting... and I have a Night Blooming Cerius but looks nothing like yours. So do you mean there are different varieties of night blooming cerius?

Thanks! For the 2 with the black background I magic lasso'd and made the background darker b/c it was distracting. Playing with lighting and that white posterboard was fun :)

Yes - there are different varieties of cereus. These are outside cactus, round 2" thick stems...not like the flatter cactus variety (they look like spring cactus or christmas cactus flat pieces). And they are HUGE blossoms! The flat petal ones are the size of a large salad plate!

Fun to photograph, eh?
    Adrienne