Metal Fins

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited June 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Well, I'm not a car enthusiast but I do appreciate the looks of classic cars. Here in town we strolled thru main street and saw all kinds. I have never taken photos of cars but I thought I would give it a try. I learned photographinc chrome can be difficult and trying to get a picture of the whole car without it looking like a regular snapshot was equally hard. But, I was attracted to the fins on some of these old cars and concentrated on that. I have no idea what kind of car this is except that I can remember it from childhood (gulp). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

561645685_2qXvD-XL.jpg

561645571_QUAYG-L.jpg

Comments

• ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I was in similar situation. At a car show and could not take a decent pic of the entire car, so I went after hood ornaments mostly.

Personally too young to remember the cars, but not by much, and loved some of the large ornate hood ornaments tat you simply do not see anymore.

It is too bad that cars have moved from rolling works of art to utilitarian, at least from the factory.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    I was in similar situation. At a car show and could not take a decent pic of the entire car, so I went after hood ornaments mostly.

Personally too young to remember the cars, but not by much, and loved some of the large ornate hood ornaments tat you simply do not see anymore.

It is too bad that cars have moved from rolling works of art to utilitarian, at least from the factory.

Yes, I agree... thanks for commenting!
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I've got a "thing" about cars; I tend to go for anything before about 1970. After that the designs tended to merge into the generic shapes/form-factors and styles (or I should say "style") that we have today; from a distance it is almost impossible to identify the manufacturer let alone the model of the car.

I agree with Toshido that at car shows it is very difficult to isolate the cars from the crowds, so I tend to go for the interesting "bits" and might even PP the reflections to get rid of the crowds.

The only picture I have which looks anything the one Eia posted is:

549669002_erYm8-M-2.jpg

…this was taken in 2003 at the Bay State Antique Automobile Club meet here on the East Coast. The shape and styling of the rear-light cluster and fin is very similar to the one in the OP. The car in my picture is a Mercury Montclair Turnpike Cruiser (1958).

There are more pics of classic cars on my site:

http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Automobiles/796416

…enjoy!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau