Seattle in Monochrome

thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in Landscapes
Sometimes, an images just screams to be done in B&W. This is one such image for me. Please don't ask to see the color version, as I don't like one competing for attention with the other. Take my word for it, the B&W is better. :D

Sony A-900 and Sony 70-400 f/4-5.6 G SSM lens.

553732435_8hNk5-L.jpg
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    this is impressive! i'm not normally a fan of urban photos, or b&w either, for that matter, but this shot works wonderfully. my only niggle - and it's as much my own preference as anything else - is that the Needle is a bit too centered... regardles, well done! Kerry Park?
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    squirl033 wrote:
    this is impressive! i'm not normally a fan of urban photos, or b&w either, for that matter, but this shot works wonderfully. my only niggle - and it's as much my own preference as anything else - is that the Needle is a bit too centered... regardles, well done! Kerry Park?

Thanks for the kind word and critique! Yes, it is Kerry Park. As far as centering of the needle, it debated it and decided that this time the 2/3 1/3 rule needed to be broken. I have multiple images of this scene, wiht some shots showing the needle more off center. None of them appealed to me as this one I posted does.

Mahesh
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Love the shot and black and whites can be amazing. Thanks for this one.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Works very well in BW. I don't have a problem with how the needle is in the photo. Its off center enough for me.

One thing....I would remove the little bright spot just in from the left about 1/4 way. Only because its shaped differently then the other clouds and makes it look like a speck to me. Same with tthe dark spot above the tallest building to the right of the needle. Don't know if that is a bunny or not.

It is a keeper for sure -- would look really good printed BIG thumb.gif
    edited June 12, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Works very well in BW. I don't have a problem with how the needle is in the photo. Its off center enough for me.

One thing....I would remove the little bright spot just in from the left about 1/4 way. Only because its shaped differently then the other clouds and makes it look like a speck to me. Same with tthe dark spot above the tallest building to the right of the needle. Don't know if that is a bunny or not.

It is a keeper for sure -- would look really good printed BIG thumb.gif

Thanks, Mary! I think you are correct. The dark spot isn't a dust bunny, but I can see how it may look like one. On the final print, I'll be sure to clone out those little dots :D

Mahesh
    edited June 12, 2009
    Tharhawk wrote:
    Love the shot and black and whites can be amazing. Thanks for this one.

Thanks, Tharhawk! It's nice to near from a fellow Washingtonian. :D

Mahesh
  • ReverbReverb Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    This is a nice photo. My only suggestion might be to increase the B&W contrast just a bit to make the darkest tones just a bit blacker. On my screen at least it seems a bit grey but I do like it overall.
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Well done Mahesh.
    I have no doubt the conversion is the best version. I like the composition.
    The dynamic sky really adds to the image. Could it handle just a smidgen more contrast?
    Great job.
    wendell
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    edited June 14, 2009
    Reverb wrote:
    This is a nice photo. My only suggestion might be to increase the B&W contrast just a bit to make the darkest tones just a bit blacker. On my screen at least it seems a bit grey but I do like it overall.

Thanks, Reverb! I'll bring up the contrast a bit and see how it grabs me. :D

Mahesh
    edited June 14, 2009
    wendell wrote:
    Well done Mahesh.
    I have no doubt the conversion is the best version. I like the composition.
    The dynamic sky really adds to the image. Could it handle just a smidgen more contrast?
    Great job.
    wendell

Thanks, Wendell! As I mentioned to Reverb, I'll have to see how the increased contrast works for me when I get back home. :D

Mahesh
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    That's an incredible image, Mahesh...really like the conversion and processing. I need to visit that park one of these days (if only I can get myself out of the southwest) :D
    "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer
    edited June 15, 2009
    argyle wrote:
    That's an incredible image, Mahesh...really like the conversion and processing. I need to visit that park one of these days (if only I can get myself out of the southwest) :D

Thanks! I don't feel too sorry for you, living in the southwest. If there were any other place I'd consider living for photographic beauty, it would be Alaska and the Southwest.

Mahesh
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Mahesh bowdown.gif

I do not know how you executed this so perfectly but you made an incredibly tricky b/w situation just shine. There's so much potential for a monochrome cityscape (particularly with clouds in the sky) just disappear into cluttered mush, but you pulled this off without a hitch. Just, WOW!
    edited June 17, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Mahesh bowdown.gif

I do not know how you executed this so perfectly but you made an incredibly tricky b/w situation just shine. There's so much potential for a monochrome cityscape (particularly with clouds in the sky) just disappear into cluttered mush, but you pulled this off without a hitch. Just, WOW!

Thanks, Schmoo! I agree, cityscapes are difficult in monochrome, but sometimes they can work. I'm glad you thought this one did. :D

Mahesh
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    I don't even need to see the color version to know that this is better. It really grabs my attention. Nice work!
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Very very well done. 15524779-Ti.gif with Schmoo's comments clap.gifclap

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    i have done almost nothing in monochrome, so the comments re level of difficulty are lost on me, except to increase my appreciation further. sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Brilliant tonality, the needle really stands out and is set off against the sky. Top job!thumb.gif
    edited June 22, 2009
    Dan, Jack, Sarah, and Chris,

Thank you so much for your warm comments. I appreciate them. :D

Mahesh
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Love it! As soon as I saw it my mind jumped to Kerry Park! It is really neat to see some fellow Washingtonians/Seattleites posting up their work! It gives me a different perspective on shots that I have taken myself. Shows me there are many different ways to take a shot from the same location.

Great work!! clap.gif
  • PVNPhotographyPVNPhotography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    The clouds make this landscape shot very dramatic in my opinion. thumb.gif
    Canon Rebel XSi/450D
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Wonderful composition. One of my photography professors hated any reference to the "rule of 1/3" - He was completely against the idea that a successful image needed to follow it. So, I think this one hits a home run. Lovely.