Carpenter ants farming aphids

mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited June 13, 2009 in Holy Macro
One of the things I like about shooting macro is that you often don't have to go far to find great opportunities. I found these carpenter ants tending to an aphid farm right in front of my apartment. The full gallery of a dozen images is on my website, and here are some samples.

561765192_Qe5sf-M-1.jpg

Basically what's going on here is insect agriculture. The carpenter ants protect this herd of aphids from predators and harvest the sugar-rich honeydew they produce. They'll also cull any sick aphids from the herd.

561766436_hZWu8-M-1.jpg

There were three ants on this particular plant and about three hundred billion million aphids. Also a lot of frass, which just looks like aphid molts to me, and a green winged insect I've seen a few times nearby but haven't identified yet.

561773504_f8B3T-M.jpg

I also captured a pair of ants swapping their stomach contents via trophallaxis. One ant will come up to another and stroke her antennae and mouth; then the donor gives her a drop of regurgitated liquid. It's not entirely as gross as it sounds, since most ant species have a crop or 'social stomach' they use specifically for this purpose. And hey, at least it's stomodeal (mouth to mouth) trophallaxis... there are less appealing forms of this behavior :) They do this to 'average out' the colony's food supply among its members, even the ones that don't forage for food, and to keep the colony's identifying odor consistent -- I think I've read that there's a social dominance thing going on with this as well, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

561775947_AWGt2-M.jpg

I know carpenter ants can be destructive (I just read about an 8' 2x4 that was so heavily tunneled by them that it weighed under two pounds!), but I do have a soft spot for all the social insects. You see such interesting and complex behavior in them.

Comments