Daughter

zonk6719zonk6719 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited June 13, 2009 in People
Ooop,s that was suppose to read "Daughter" but I don't know how to change the subject. Totally unplaned, saw her there and she looked cute (as she always does).

554108998_kyyvK-L.jpg
Learning as I go!!

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 12, 2009
    zonk6719 wrote:
    Ooop,s that was suppose to read "Daughter" but I don't know how to change the subject.
    Fixed it for you. For some silly reason, it takes super-powers to edit a title. rolleyes1.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    zonk6719 wrote:
    Ooop,s that was suppose to read "Daughter" but I don't know how to change the subject. Totally unplaned, saw her there and she looked cute (as she always does).

554108998_kyyvK-L.jpg
    Great image. I would suggest trying it as a black and white, however, because the colors overwhelm the subject. I tend to believe that in most cases - there are exceptions to every 'rule' - you shoot color when the photo is about color - a sunset, a sea-scape, a Haitian street scene. You shoot black and white when the subject is the subject. Ted Grant, the father of Canadian photo journalism likes to say that when you shoot people in color you see their clothes; when you shoot them in black and white you see their souls. Religiosity aside, he's right.

Keep shooting - you've got a good eye and a great subject.

B. D.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 12, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Great image. I would suggest trying it as a black and white, however, because the colors overwhelm the subject. I tend to believe that in most cases - there are exceptions to every 'rule' - you shoot color when the photo is about color - a sunset, a sea-scape, a Haitian street scene. You shoot black and white when the subject is the subject. Ted Grant, the father of Canadian photo journalism likes to say that when you shoot people in color you see their clothes; when you shoot them in black and white you see their souls. Religiosity aside, he's right.

Keep shooting - you've got a good eye and a great subject.

B. D.

In general, I agree. In this particular shot, I think the brightness of the sleeve becomes more of a distraction when converted to B&W than it is in color. Crop time?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    In general, I agree. In this particular shot, I think the brightness of the sleeve becomes more of a distraction when converted to B&W than it is in color. Crop time?

Good point, Richard, and one I wrestled with. I did some burning and dodging already, burning down the background and foreground, lightening the face around the eye, and darkening the pupil. I think I'd tend to try burning that sleeve to hell and gone, rather than cropping. Cropping this image would significantly alter it, and it is an interesting composition now.

B. D.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I love the shot, and the conversion....well done, BD!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • zonk6719zonk6719 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    WOW...Thank you all so much for you input!!! I have learned a lot by reading all of this!! You all have opened my eyes to a whole new way of thinking as opposed to just taking a picture. There is soooo much more to consider. Thank you all very much!!!
    Learning as I go!!
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Wow B.D., you've taken a good capture and made a great portrait with this conversion. bowdown.gif

Zonk - this one deserves a frame! clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!