Sunset/rises above the clouds

TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited June 15, 2009 in Landscapes
I spent a week climbing and skiing into a remote part of the Olympics. Along the way I spent several nights walking in the clouds. I've only gone through a few photos and these were the first to catch my eye. I thought you guys would enjoy seeing? And I wanted to share part of the thrill of being up there.

DSC_6253.jpg

DSC_6342.jpg

DSC_5814.jpg
More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
Jason Hummel photography on:
FACEBOOK

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Spectacular shots! Each one is fantastic in its own right. clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Thanks, I'm liking them a lot. These were quick edits though. Laughing.gif. As if I could do better taking my time ne_nau.gif

Looking closer, what do you guys think of cropping some of the sky out??? I don't crop much, but one or two of these could perhaps use a bit. If someone would like to show me what could be done with an edit...that would be great, too.

Larger pictures here: http://alpinestateofmind.smugmug.com/gallery/8518756_32jA4#560768090_5MiUA

Appreciate any and all help...
    FACEBOOK
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Wish I could teleport to the places you go.rolleyes1.gif These are fantastic bowdown.gif

Dan
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Its like shaking hand with god

Stunning images of spectacular views
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Phenomenal!

With landscape scenes and large sky shots, I tend to like either a 50/50 split between sky/ground or play the 1/3 rule (1/3 ground, 2/3 sky or vice versa). It's just an aesthetic thing for me, not sure how others feel.

But I LOVE these shots...incredible!

Adrienne
    edited June 12, 2009
    Its like shaking hand with god

Stunning images of spectacular views

Actually the peaks we ventured into are named after Norse Gods. A very amazing place. I'm thrilled you guys all like these. I have 100 variations or so to par down of the 4 different sunsets and one sunrise I got up there (so more to come). And then there are the ski and climb photos. Oh my, skiing under giant ice cliffs and waterfalls, and above bear. So cool. I'm writing a story. I'll put a link here when I finish in a week or so if people are interested.
    FACEBOOK
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Outstanding shots, that first one is absolutely amazing. Wow!
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Awesome photos. 1 & 2 are superb. Wonderful color and comp. is good. thumb.gif

wendell
  • ReverbReverb Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Wow... these are probably the best photos I've seen in my few days of browsing the photo... great job... beautiful clouds
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Thanks for sharing these with us! You have some spectacular images in this set.
    The only one I would crop is the first one, as I don't feel the inclusion of all that sky is necessary.
  • SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Nice job with this series. I like the glow in the clouds in the second one. It makes it come alive even more. Now make sure you print them BIG! Large gallery wrap canvas.

Also like the silhouette!
    Keep shooting
    John
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 13, 2009
    Wow! Can I say wow again? bowdown.gif

Being a mountain lover myself I totally understand the exhilaration one feels when presented with such a view. Please post more photos! clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited June 14, 2009
    Dirty and dusty, as I just returned from the mountains to all your great comments. Thanks guys!
    FACEBOOK
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    fabulous series - looks like you worked hard for those, and the results are spectacular.
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com