#27 - Could use some help

whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
edited June 13, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just got back this week from vacation - 2 weeks without computer/internet/email access. Had to catch up on the results of #26 and think about #27.

Here is my initial idea - "favorite shade of gray" -

561745790_K4WBo-M.jpg

I've tried lots of B/W conversions, different lens, different DOF, different angles. Like someone said a few weeks back - sometimes you just have an idea, a tiny idea!! I've tried curves adjustments. Thoughts please? I ended up using my 100mm macro lens.

And, an FYI for anyone thinking about photographing crayons....they are very, very imperfect...lots of nicks and scratches - lots of cloning and healing. :rofl

I have one other idea, but so little time. :huh
- Christopher
My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!

Comments

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Nice! The broken one draws the eye.

I don't feel competent to make suggestions.
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Nice! The broken one draws the eye.

I don't feel competent to make suggestions.

Come on....don't underestimate yourself. mwink.gif Anybody with or without photography experience can say whether or not it is appealing, what you like or dislike. The experts here can then help to guide the way. bowdown.gif
    - Christopher
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    What an awesome idea... I love it...wings.gif so different... and pleasing to look at too..

love the title and it fits the theme..

have you done a sharp mask on it?

also,, the white crayons or the ones that got blown out,,hmmmmmm.. they fight with your title. shades of grey.... how experienced are you at layers?

Kat
    edited June 12, 2009
    What an awesome idea... I love it...wings.gif so different... and pleasing to look at too..

love the title and it fits the theme..

have you done a sharp mask on it?

also,, the white crayons or the ones that got blown out,,hmmmmmm.. they fight with your title. shades of grey.... how experienced are you at layers?

Kat

I haven't done an unsharp mask....didn't want to bring out even more all the crayon flaws.

I know the basics of layers, though it might be easier to just reshoot and move the crayons around. Oh no, but then I'd have to heal and clone again.... I swear, if you only knew how much healing and cloning I had to do.....
    - Christopher
    edited June 12, 2009
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh >> trust me... I know your pain.. I just spent all night and morning healing and cloning bar stools and counter tops.. it makes me want to dip snuffeek7.gifhuheek7.gif,, as my husband would say..

you might consider that the nicks and imperfections are ok and may even give it character in this case? would have to see them to make my mind up on that..

you can also diffuse your light and that will help to smooth them out...I used a dryer sheet on my microphone shot and it works super...I am being serious..

Then if ya don't want to sharpen the entire image.. go to your tool bar and you have a blur and a sharpen tool brush.. just selectively and on a low pressure, and opacity, go in and manually sharpen the paper and box and maybe the lower ridges of the crayons..

look forward to seeing what you do with this..clap.gif

Kat
    edited June 12, 2009
    oh yeah I forgot.. wow.. those are some handsome children in your gallery and nice photo work too!!! I love photographing children. They are my favorite subjects..iloveyou.gif

Kat
    edited June 12, 2009
    oh yeah I forgot.. wow.. those are some handsome children in your gallery and nice photo work too!!! I love photographing children. They are my favorite subjects..iloveyou.gif

Kat

Thanks Kat....you're too nice. That's my little boy in those shots.

Back to this challenge image, because I trust your opinion, so then do you think the image looks soft? I have a dickens of a time working out the DOF with that macro lens which is so new to me. I wish my 50mm would work for this shot.
    - Christopher
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I LOVE the crayons. Oh how I wish I had thought of that :D

I like it as is, but that is me... I don't mind the bright whites like everyone else. I also think that any imperfections are fine... I mean really, it is crayons! They aren't supposed to be perfect. Heck most of mine are in a big bucket, not nice and neat like that.
    edited June 12, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    I LOVE the crayons. Oh how I wish I had thought of that :D

I like it as is, but that is me... I don't mind the bright whites like everyone else. I also think that any imperfections are fine... I mean really, it is crayons! They aren't supposed to be perfect. Heck most of mine are in a big bucket, not nice and neat like that.

Thanks Donna for the input! iloveyou.gif

It's amazing though....guess it's because I've barely used a macro lens....but things look SO different up close. Just call me a noob.headscratch.gif
    - Christopher
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Thanks Donna for the input! iloveyou.gif

It's amazing though....guess it's because I've barely used a macro lens....but things look SO different up close. Just call me a noob.headscratch.gif

I know, I love getting flowers up close because it is things I have never noticed before. Quite amazing really.
    edited June 12, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Thanks Kat....you're too nice. That's my little boy in those shots.

Back to this challenge image, because I trust your opinion, so then do you think the image looks soft? I have a dickens of a time working out the DOF with that macro lens which is so new to me. I wish my 50mm would work for this shot.

well , that is an adorable little boy... I have two boys myself.. one 4yrs. old and one 13yrs. Old...

ok, back to photo...I think you did just grand on the DOF,, and they are clear and you really nailed the composition on this because of the way you shot that broken crayon, it does wonders for it and gives the photo some character..

I would selectively sharpen it up some, especially the paper, sharper paper will help to give all that grey some umpf..... and the white crayon is just fine, but try to think of a "different title"... something to do with wax OR >> a title that points out the broken one, something to make it feel different and that would really tie it together.. "out of place" or not fitting in, odd ball in...... your getting my point... I am sure... the title is crucial, and I would build it around the broken one.... Run some by me and I can help, gonna take me a while to get my brain going, I just woke from a 2 hour nap with the toddler... need my coffee..

Kat
    edited June 12, 2009
    oh and I forgot,,, You asked if they were too soft...

No, you can get away with that here because they are wax and we are used to viewing wax soft, so it works in my opinion, at least in black and white, now in color, it may look too saturated soft..

Also, when you sharpen it up, be sure to really give us some sharp on the paper so we get texture and the "ridges" of the crayon.. that is going to do wonders if you can sharpen those ridges....thumb.gif

Kat
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I like it a lot. comp and conversion. It is not a perfect world I think nicks and dent would add to it but then I have seen it.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited June 13, 2009
    I've taken your suggestion Kat and tried some sharpening. Any better? Any other suggestions?

562463562_eePSX-M.jpg
    - Christopher
    edited June 13, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    I've taken your suggestion Kat and tried some sharpening. Any better? Any other suggestions?

562463562_eePSX-M.jpg

They look absolutely awesome..clap.gifclapclap.gif The broken crayon pulls the viewer in, and all of that wonderful paper texture, now, holds the viewer in your image... a success in my opinion...

Great job on sharpening the ridges just right too, it really makes them stand out..wings.gif

Nice work whiterice.thumb.gif..

Well just got back from my shoot... I am running out of time.. I have one other idea, and I am posting it later tonight.. I went out and shot spun hay today.. Back to work for me.. congrats on getting your image polished and good luck in the contest..thumb.gif
    edited June 13, 2009
    Thanks for all your input Kat....much appreciated.iloveyou.gif
    Well just got back from my shoot... I am running out of time.. I have one other idea, and I am posting it later tonight.. I went out and shot spun hay today.. Back to work for me.. congrats on getting your image polished and good luck in the contest..thumb.gif

What....another idea! Can't wait to see. There I go, supporting your addiction. Nothing like an enabler.:D
    - Christopher
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    They look absolutely awesome..clap.gifclapclap.gif The broken crayon pulls the viewer in, and all of that wonderful paper texture, now, holds the viewer in your image... a success in my opinion...

Great job on sharpening the ridges just right too, it really makes them stand out..wings.gif

Nice work whiterice.thumb.gif..

15524779-Ti.gif
    edited June 13, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks Mark - you're too kind!
    - Christopher
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Excellent!! I love the idea & your treatment. Nice job!

Sherry
    edited June 13, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Thanks for all your input Kat....much appreciated.iloveyou.gif

What....another idea! Can't wait to see. There I go, supporting your addiction. Nothing like an enabler.:D

:lolYes, you are being an enabler, but I like to think of it as a cheerleader.. haha..cheerleader.gif... working on them now... will try to get them up by tonight or tomorrow..

thanks for the support,thumb.gif

Kat