Hopping on the existing light bandwagon...

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited June 16, 2009 in People
Ok, so it's just one shot, but I figured I'd post it. This guy is my friend's great uncle, Albert. He lives with his brother George and they both love music and usually end up jamming on my friend's guitars when they come over to visit. I'd love to go over to their house and get some cool shots of them playing together... they've got guitars, 12 string guitars, violins, accordians, banjos, mandolins, etc... Not sure how they'd like it if I just invaded their house with my gear though. I asked them but I don't think they though I was serious or really understood what I was suggesting. I might just show up one day with my camera and an umbrella and see what they say. If I'm quick I could just get them to start playing and then throw up my lightstand before they realize what's going on... :rofl

Anyway for this shot the light was coming through a large window in my friend's kitchen.

Let me know what you think...

561937141_J7xm9-L.jpg

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Ok, so it's just one shot, but I figured I'd post it. This guy is my friend's great uncle, Albert. He lives with his brother George and they both love music and usually end up jamming on my friend's guitars when they come over to visit. I'd love to go over to their house and get some cool shots of them playing together... they've got guitars, 12 string guitars, violins, accordians, banjos, mandolins, etc... Not sure how they'd like it if I just invaded their house with my gear though. I asked them but I don't think they though I was serious or really understood what I was suggesting. I might just show up one day with my camera and an umbrella and see what they say. If I'm quick I could just get them to start playing and then throw up my lightstand before they realize what's going on... rolleyes1.gif

Anyway for this shot the light was coming through a large window in my friend's kitchen.

Great image Tim! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Very nice! Love the texture in this shot. The light seems to bring out all the wrinkles!

Caroline
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Ok, so it's just one shot, but I figured I'd post it. This guy is my friend's great uncle, Albert. He lives with his brother George and they both love music and usually end up jamming on my friend's guitars when they come over to visit. I'd love to go over to their house and get some cool shots of them playing together... they've got guitars, 12 string guitars, violins, accordians, banjos, mandolins, etc... Not sure how they'd like it if I just invaded their house with my gear though. I asked them but I don't think they though I was serious or really understood what I was suggesting. I might just show up one day with my camera and an umbrella and see what they say. If I'm quick I could just get them to start playing and then throw up my lightstand before they realize what's going on... rolleyes1.gif

561937141_J7xm9-L.jpg
    Very nice, but what caused him to turn this weird color? rolleyes1.gif

Umbrellas are for rain storms. Just go over, leave your cameras in the bag, shoot the breeze with them, and then when they get absorbed in the music, shoot with the light that's there. Remember, you can always bring along some 150 watt light bulbs and screw them into whatever lamps are around, raising light levels in the room. But don't think 'set up,' think 'reality.' You'll do well, as you did with this one. ;-)

B. D.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great image Tim! thumb.gifbowdown.gif

BS!................ It's more than that.

Is this RAW PP? I like how it lures you in. You got him at the right moment - Impeccable timing!
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    But don't think 'set up,' think 'reality.'
    B. D.

But I don't want reality, I want the image in my head! Even if it's in sepia... :D
    Is this RAW PP?

The sepia toning was done with camera raw if that's what you mean. In photoshop I added some contrast courtesy of the high pass filter (which also brought out the skin texture beyond what was in the raw file... I could have used clairity in camera raw but I find it too sloppy and untweakable). It was shot at ISO 1600 and it's noisier than I'd like, but overall I'm happy with it.

Thanks for all the feedback!
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    The noise might add something here I like it, like the color, like the contrast I just like it
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    The noise might add something here I like it, like the color, like the contrast I just like it

I like it Tim thumb.gif
    Randy
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    The sepia toning was done with camera raw if that's what you mean. In photoshop I added some contrast courtesy of the high pass filter (which also brought out the skin texture beyond what was in the raw file... I could have used clairity in camera raw but I find it too sloppy and untweakable). It was shot at ISO 1600 and it's noisier than I'd like, but overall I'm happy with it.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Ok. I've seen some "grunge" work that came directly out of RAW and thought it looked fine. Thanks for passing along your recipe. If there's any way that you could work in one of their jam sessions, JUMP and drop whatever you're doin'; he's one heck of a character.
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    I love this shot! It reminds me of the times when I used to chat with the older generation, in how they used to pay real close attention to what is being said or asked. I also like the PP, as it brings out his character. I can't wait to see future shots with a guitar in this guy's hands!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    LOVE.

This is a wonderful "character study" kind of shot - the light enhances the weathered face, and the look in his eyes tells so many different stories. bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Way cool shot.... existing light is working clap.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • zonk6719zonk6719 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    I Love this shot. I don't know why but pictures like this, of older men just give a feeling of wizdom, then you start wondering what all they have seen in their lives. It is easy to get lost in thought when viewing great pictures like this one.
    Learning as I go!!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Tim I really think the skin need some smoothing..there are way too many lines and wrinkles. Also some selective healing/cloning would really help clean up the image. Perhaps a high key treatment as well.

I kid.

excelent shot!clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com