Travel Town (Train) Museum

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited June 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Travel Town is a small museum with old trains in Griffith Park in Los Angeles. Anyway, for me, I wanted to experiment with my off shoe sync cord, so I can do some off camera flash. All shot in daylight but with a very high shutter speed so I can get directional lighting from the flash. Normally I process in Canon's DPP but tried out Lightroom this time and am surprised to find the WB/color better under the cloudy situation than with DPP. The workflow is longer but since I can do more stuff with LR, there was less post processing to be done with the Photoshop, so I guess it all evens out. Sorry for the lack of opening shots as these are all detail shots.

Well, enough yapping, here are the snappings.
1. No. 7.
562139264_H7D7u-L.jpg

2. Monster lighting.
562136078_y4zfc-M.jpg

3. Red handle and the little shrub.
562135242_jqDvK-M.jpg

4. Dinning Cart window.
562143193_ktrFv-L.jpg

5. Duckie by the window.
562141594_wbFSH-L.jpg

6. Locked. Sorry they had a white sticker on the lock, and I didn't want to clone it out and make it look weird.
562140427_dpYFz-L.jpg

7. Bye bye.
562139767_kAytB-L.jpg

8. Rivets.
562138108_vcBA3-L.jpg
Entire gallery is here.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/574181_5ZAZR#P-1-15

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Great shots! I love the one with the lock and the last one is just too cute :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Thanks.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Great shots Tom. #1 and #6 are superb. Very good composition. Impressive work.

Cheers,
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    All very nice shots Tom. Having control of the light will always elevate the interest of an image. Bringing out detail or adding mystery.
    Great job.
    wendell
    edited June 14, 2009
    Thanks,
    I unfortunately got tired of holding the camera with one hand and the flash with the other. It's fun to mess with lighting but I'm not into setting up lights and such, more into capturing what's there more.

Never the less for $28, it was fun to play with the sync cord and mess around.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Thanks,
    I unfortunately got tired of holding the camera with one hand and the flash with the other. It's fun to mess with lighting but I'm not into setting up lights and such, more into capturing what's there more.

Never the less for $28, it was fun to play with the sync cord and mess around.

I agree, it's nice to switch things up a bit. Did you use any kind of diffuser or anything for these? I love the fresh take this lends your already-excellent work. thumb.gif
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Nice job, Tom!

Lots of potential for some interesting shots…

…here's my favourite (hope you don't mind mwink.gif )
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited June 15, 2009
    Tha't OK Will.
    Looks better with the white sticker gone. I can see some smudging which is a sign of cloning. I tried to clone/heal it out and didn't like how the lines on the lock wasn't lining up perfectly. I suppose that white dot means something like it's been checked out or something so I didn't want to mess with it.

Schmoo, I used a Canon 420 EX with a cheap-ish "Red Dot" brand sync cord for $28 off eBay. I used a Sto Fen diffuser.

I also experimented with LR 2.3 for processing these shots instead of my usual Canon DPP.