Whoot!! just became the proud owner

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited June 16, 2009 in Cameras
Just became the proud owner of a lightly Used Nikon D300 + MB10 GRIP and 18-200 VR lens.......just a tad over 1k actuation's...............

sORRY Jonathan.....Oly just did not have the high iso / low light ability I neeeded orthe GPS input............
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Enjoy your new Machine
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Sweet deal (on the dark sidemwink.gif)

Canon-girl here!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 13, 2009
    Congratulations Art. clap.gif

The Nikon D300 is a very nice ride and should serve you well.

Now you just need a collection of sweet glass to go with the camera. thumb.gif (Nikon, Sigma, I bet you're scouring the Internet as we speak. mwink.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    sORRY Jonathan.....Oly just did not have the high iso / low light ability I neeeded orthe GPS input............

It's ok. I will just be crying myself to sleep tonight:cry
    Just kidding. I am very excited for you. The D300 is a fantastic camera. Great news.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Congratulations Art. clap.gif

The Nikon D300 is a very nice ride and should serve you well.

Now you just need a collection of sweet glass to go with the camera. thumb.gif (Nikon, Sigma, I bet you're scouring the Internet as we speak. mwink.gif)

Actually I have been scouring for quite some time.....found what i want / need now I just need more MOOOOOLA!!:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 13, 2009
    It's ok. I will just be crying myself to sleep tonight:cry
    Just kidding. I am very excited for you. The D300 is a fantastic camera. Great news.

I really wanted that E30 but from all the tests I found the E620 actually had the best results at high iso but it was high iso - high noise and the independent testers (just from googling) said if the high iso/low light was going to be a big factor then it was either canon or Nikon and since I still Nikon film body it kinda helpped make the decision........

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Holy cannoli! How many systems do you own now? Minolta, Nikon, .. and? :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    I'm interested in all the systems you own also. In the short time I've been around here, I was under the impression that you were an "other guys" man.

Let us know how you like the camera!
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

edited June 13, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Holy cannoli! How many systems do you own now? Minolta, Nikon, .. and? :D

AND Kiev Medium format 2 1/4 square with several backs and 3 lenses.....lenses are going to be mated with m42 type adapters for manual lenses (they are primes of the 200 / 400 mm type)
    A Contax 35mm with I believe a 35mm or 50mm fixed lens (circa 1960's still works )and a 1960's Ricoh Flex 2 1/4 sq twin lens that the shutter just roze up on me a few days ago..........HpC200 1mp P/S about 6 yrs old.......The Nkon F70will get new batteries and stuffed back in a bag for emergencies now.............

amg2833 wrote:
    I'm interested in all the systems you own also. In the short time I've been around here, I was under the impression that you were an "other guys" man.

Let us know how you like the camera!

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflI was from the "OTHER GUYS" camp with my Konica Minolta 7D(x2) and KM A2......but Sony did not do as well as I had hoped with the knowledge they acquired from Konica Minolta.....at this stage of the game all of the cameras with live view should also have a true floating focus/meter point......it seems to have died with the buy out.......that was one of the reasons I bought my A2.....that meant I never had to focus and re-frame a shot.....I could just mover that focus point (+) anywhere I wanted....friggin' fantastic for fine art shots of min dof and specific focus........also Sony is laggin' in the FPS field and a lot of other areas when I printed of specs on comparable cameras.......also their prices went thru the roof on lenses....their lenses are more expensive than Canon "L" lenses......but I shoot mostly SIGMA lenses any way......always have.
    2 things I really needed was high iso/low light capability with low noise.....My KM 7D is really good to about iso 1000 or 1600 depending but I shoot a lot of stage stuff and needed more.......
    secondly I was tired of hunting down decent software for geo tagging my photos.....I guess not of enuff people like me to get sony or canon to add it to their camera.....so back to Nikon.

edited June 13, 2009
    So what lenses are you going to get?
    edited June 14, 2009
    So what lenses are you going to get?

cam comes with an 18-200 vr lens....gonna try it out and see how it does.....buuuut I will be getting another Sigma 70-200 2.8.....my current 24-70 is just not wide enuff, so I am gonna try the 17-70 2.8-4.5 ........I am also trying to decide on the BigMa or Little Ma(150-500) or maybe an 80-400.......next sundayI should be able to try out the cam and lens at my friends church that i run sound at most sundays.....from the sound booth which is at back of church and almost dead center I couldshoot just like I would for a wedding andsee how it reacts....I also control the lights from the soundbooth:D.....we be talking par cans and fresnel lighting (stage lighting):D...........with some incandesents thrown in.........nice church tho. feels funny being Buddhist and working in a penecostal churcheek7.gif

edited June 14, 2009
    I think you should get the Sigma 300-800rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 14, 2009
    I think you should get the Sigma 300-800rolleyes1.gif
    yeah me too....but I really thought YOU wouldhave it delivered as a gift the next time we have a shoot out.........:D:Drolleyes1.gifrofl

I will also be needing a 10-20 for the wild side.....mwink.gifmwink.gifmwink.gif

edited June 14, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    yeah me too....but I really thought YOU wouldhave it delivered as a gift the next time we have a shoot out.........:D:Drolleyes1.gifrofl
    No problem, I will just sell my car...
    edited June 14, 2009
    No problem, I will just sell my car...

Now you want me to be intrpuble with YOUR wife.:D As nice as she was when I met her, I know that would be the wrong thing to do rolleyes1.gif

That lens cost alsmost as much as my house. rolleyes1.gifrofl

edited June 16, 2009
    Holy Moly......lordie Lordie...........
    I just got my D300 today....the cam is nice and fits hand real well....liking the MB-10 for portrait orientation shooting.......went out and shot appox 100 frames before I atarted checking settings.....OOOOOhhhhhh No it wasn't set of raw....so I have some jpgs to try and fix one day this winter when I am snowed in rolleyes1.gifrofl .........did not realize the manual was dang near the size of Sir James Frazer's "Golden Bough":D ....... all my previous cams have had maybe 100 pages in the enlish manual......dang.....gotta get ta swappin' neck straps from the KM's.....da Nikon strap gotta go and the SMUGGY strap gotta appearthumb.gif.......

Took me 20 minutes to figure out how to get into the card slot.....but the card is definitely secure....

Now to learn to shoot with a VR lens and the difference betwix normal and active VR:D

This is gonna be fun.....yesssssireeee!!