Australian sunset

IanBIanB Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited June 14, 2009 in Landscapes
544592714_Fw5Dn-M.jpg

April 2009: Sunset over the Swan River, Perth. I cropped out some of the black slihouette in the foreground and on left frame. Some opinions may vary on the degree of crop. Taken with a Nikon D40, 18-55mm stock lens, handheld; JPG Fine settimg.
- IanB.

'The important thing is not the camera, but the eye.'

-- Alfred Eisenstaedt, (1898-1995).

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Nice job, Ian. I love that orange glow in the sky. I know you probably couldn't have helped it, but I wish the fishing pole wasn't overlapping the tall post.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    This is nice Ian. Nice warm colors from the sky and off the water. A nice silhouette of the fisherman. The only thing that troubles me about the composition, is how the tallest vertical piling cuts the fishing pole and rockets through the distant horizon.
    Sometimes due to the environment one cannot position himself perfectly.
    Nice job.
    wendell
  • IanBIanB Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Australian sunset
    thapamd wrote:
    Nice job, Ian. I love that orange glow in the sky. I know you probably couldn't have helped it, but I wish the fishing pole wasn't overlapping the tall post.

I have used RAW a little, but still not conversant with it. How would you set White Balance in this scene --it's between daylight & shadow? Maybe just bracket it and take the best?
    IanB
    - IanB.

• IanBIanB Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Australian sunset
    wendell wrote:
    This is nice Ian. Nice warm colors from the sky and off the water. A nice silhouette of the fisherman. The only thing that troubles me about the composition, is how the tallest vertical piling cuts the fishing pole and rockets through the distant horizon.
    Sometimes due to the environment one cannot position himself perfectly.
    Nice job.
    wendell

Thanks for the comment. You are dead right, the piling is a problem, but I was standing on the end of a narrow wooden jetty, with not much room for manoeuvre!
    - IanB.

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    IanB wrote:
    I have used RAW a little, but still not conversant with it. How would you set White Balance in this scene --it's between daylight & shadow? Maybe just bracket it and take the best?
    IanB

Hi Ian,

Often for sunset silhouetted shots like this, the auto or "as shot" WB works great. That's what I've found, anyway.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com