Punta Cana

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited July 7, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are a few shots from our beach vacation this year in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

First a few sunrise shots. I didn't get as many as I would have expected because of a major lens fogging issue. :huh

562593370_Mn6Xx-L.jpg

#2 Watch where you step
562594865_adgHR-L.jpg

#3 Someone in a crabby mood
561443872_QrwGC-L.jpg

562613174_f7iNx-L.jpg

562612679_gUSQ6-L.jpg

#6 Foggy Lens. This is what happens when you bring a lens from an air conditioned room out into the tropical Caribbean air.
562611896_dZYiZ-L.jpg

#7 Infinity Pool
562597884_HVY6r-L.jpg

#8 Looking up
562598738_CAQzS-L.jpg

#9 Evening view from our condo patio.
562647935_i4YeD-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking. :thumb
-joel

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Beautiful set Joel. Looks like a great vacation. Those first 4 are really outstanding clap.gif

Dan
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Wow! Impressive work there dude! Very nice. That sun through the boat...simply incredible. Fabulous work.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 13, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Beautiful set Joel. Looks like a great vacation. Those first 4 are really outstanding clap.gif

Dan
    Hey thanks, Dan! It was a superb vacation, and the kids had a blast as well. I even got them to pose for me some times (kinda).

562738049_hoq8k-XL.jpg

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited June 13, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Wow! Impressive work there dude! Very nice. That sun through the boat...simply incredible. Fabulous work.

Hey Swartzy, thanks a bunch, buddy! Honestly I wasn't even sure whether they were good enough to post. Now I'm glad I did. :D

Thanks!
    -joel
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Beautiful photos thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

What are those things in the sand in #2?
    edited June 13, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Beautiful photos thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

What are those things in the sand in #2?
    Thanks, Mary Kim! thumb.gif

Those things in the sand are Portuguese Man O' War . Their tentacles have a pretty vicious sting.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

Dan

15524779-Ti.gif I can feel your pain with the "fogging lens" issue. I ran into the same problem in April when we were in Aruba. I tried to keep my camera wrapped up in blankets in the room but I still had a major fogging issue.

Stephanie
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Awesome shots, Joel! Loved 'em all, especially the one of your kids. Looks like a great time was had by all. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    The entire series is great. I like the silhouetted palm trees, the sun flare and boat, all great. Looks like it was a sweet vacation.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Mary Kim! thumb.gif

Those things in the sand are Portuguese Man O' War . Their tentacles have a pretty vicious sting.

ISH....so pretty too laying there on the sand. They almost look neon in color.
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Wonderful series Joel. Looks like you and family had a great vacation, thanks for sharing.
    wendell
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Joel,

Great series. Brings back memories from my trip to Punta Cana last year. Beautifual place isn't it? My wife and I are planning on going back next year to buy a piece of property there. We eventually want to relocate there. Live a simpler, relaxed life, you know?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Really cool, my favorites are the first and last. Love those palm trees.
    edited June 15, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif I can feel your pain with the "fogging lens" issue. I ran into the same problem in April when we were in Aruba. I tried to keep my camera wrapped up in blankets in the room but I still had a major fogging issue.

Stephanie

Thanks, Stephanie! Yeah, the key would be keeping the camera warm. I finally figured out how to lower in the air-conditioner in the room which largely solved the problem.

Interesting, wiping the lens with a lens cloth had no effect whatsoever. It only smeared the fog around. However, lens paper seemed to work much better in absorbing the moisture. During the day, you can put your camera in the sun and the fog will fade pretty quickly. But it's a major show-stopped pre-dawn when there is no sun yet.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited June 15, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Awesome shots, Joel! Loved 'em all, especially the one of your kids. Looks like a great time was had by all. thumb.gif

Thank you, Mahesh. Really appreciate that.

-joel
    edited June 15, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    The entire series is great. I like the silhouetted palm trees, the sun flare and boat, all great. Looks like it was a sweet vacation.

Thanks, Bryan! It was a sweet vacation indeed and one that we recommend highly. Next time I want to stay two week. Appreciate the comments!

-joel
    edited June 15, 2009
    wendell wrote:
    Wonderful series Joel. Looks like you and family had a great vacation, thanks for sharing.
    wendell

Thank you, Wendell! thumb.gif

-joel
    edited June 15, 2009
    Joel,

Great series. Brings back memories from my trip to Punta Cana last year. Beautifual place isn't it? My wife and I are planning on going back next year to buy a piece of property there. We eventually want to relocate there. Live a simpler, relaxed life, you know?
    Thanks, Ricky! (I still don't know your real name. rolleyes1.gif)

The DR would be an amazing place to retire. I'll come and visit. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited June 15, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Really cool, my favorites are the first and last. Love those palm trees.

Thanks, Ron! Here's one more Palm tree shot just for you. I call this one "bad parenting". rolleyes1.gif

562754555_aDpDY-L.jpg

Cheers,
    -joel
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Hi kdog.........clap.gifclapclap.gif azzaro
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Ron! Here's one more Palm tree shot just for you. I call this one "bad parenting". rolleyes1.gif

562754555_aDpDY-L.jpg

Cheers,
    -joel

I call it "Allowing your kids to be kids and earn their lumps"!! Besides... I know it's not as high as it looks.

BTW, my name is Alex. You can call me Ricky though. People do all the time and it by far the worst thing I've been called. :D

My Smug Site
    edited June 15, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi kdog.........clap.gifclapclap.gif azzaro
    Hi Azzaro. Thank you, sir! :D

-joel
    edited June 15, 2009
    Besides... I know it's not as high as it looks.
    High enough. nod.gif
    562753927_jR57v-L.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Hey Joel, GREAT photos! Hilarious shot of your kid on the palm tree. Looks like a brave one. thumb.gif

I've never had the desire to vacation to a warm, beachy place but we're headed there this winter. After seeing your set, I'm pretty darned excited now :ivar
    edited June 15, 2009
    Holy crap... that is high!! Awesome!

My Smug Site
    edited June 15, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Joel, GREAT photos! Hilarious shot of your kid on the palm tree. Looks like a brave one. thumb.gif

I've never had the desire to vacation to a warm, beachy place but we're headed there this winter. After seeing your set, I'm pretty darned excited now :ivar

Hey Schmoo, thanks a bunch. If this is going to be your first tropical beach vacation, you're really going to be in for a treat. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Hey thanks, Dan! It was a superb vacation, and the kids had a blast as well. I even got them to pose for me some times (kinda).

562738049_hoq8k-XL.jpg

Cheers,
    -joel

Great Shot kdog! I saw in another thread of the girls that this is all in camera. Would that be the 5D MkII? I have been playing with the LR Direct Positive on some 5D and 50D shots, and this is very similar. It looks like you have fill flash which gives that extra punch in daylight shots.

On the foggy lens: besides putting it in plastic bag before hand, stick it outside on the porch when you first get up (if secure). By the time you are ready to go, it should be acclimated.

PMOR (or any jelly fish): Meat Tenderizer neutralizers it, or at least decreases the sting if you really get nailed. We actually have a jar of it labeled for Jelly Fish (so that it doesn't end up on the rib-eye steaks). :D
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited July 4, 2009
    Hey JD,

Good to hear from you, man. Yes, that's the 5DMkII, and yes, that's pretty much SOOC. Shot in manual, dialed down the background exposure by a stop or two, and filled the kids in with flash. I'm really digging the colors I'm getting out of the new camera. I'm still not up on LR yet, but sounds like it has some interesting controls.

Thank for the tips on the fogging and Jellyfish stings.

We're gonna miss you at Toroweap. It's not too late to change your mind. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    We're gonna miss you at Toroweap. It's not too late to change your mind. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    I'm just glad to actually spend time doing anything photography related iloveyou.gif
    Having done the North Rim, Toroweap is on my list. Truly a destination shoot with the time just to get there.

Broke out my ABs yesterday just to get use to some mixed indoor and outdoor light shooting. Couldn't figure out the odd exposure settings - until I realized I was on ISO 1600 from a night shoot last weekend.11doh.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Couldn't figure out the odd exposure settings - until I realized I was on ISO 1600 from a night shoot last weekend.11doh.gif

Remember: EVERY day is Check Your ISO Day! lol3.gif