Oak Creek on Fire!

argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited June 14, 2009 in Landscapes
Shot this at Red Rock Crossing while in Sedona last week. Only had about 15 minutes of light thanks to a hole in the cloud cover....really made for some nice reflections on the creek.

Shot with 5DMkII, 24-105L, CPL, and 3-stop hard GND

562652974_Jix8x-X2.jpg
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 13, 2009
    Awesome!! thumb.gifthumb

Was the purpose of the CP to reduce the glare on the water?

Cheers,
    -joel
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Pretty much...it can also be used to enhance the reflections, or simply remove them. All depends on how much you "dial in". The CPL is an indispensable tool for landscape shooters...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 13, 2009
    argyle wrote:
    Pretty much...it can also be used to enhance the reflections, or simply remove them. All depends on how much you "dial in". The CPL is an indispensable tool for landscape shooters...

Yeah, I know, I use one quite a bit myself. I was curious to your motivation in using it for that particular shot, since it wouldn't have much effect with the setting sun at your back otherwise.

-joel
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    It does look on fire -- beautiful photo thumb.gif
  • dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Very cool shot, nice that the sunlit part and the shadow meet at natural boundaries for the most part.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Awesome shot! Those reflections are like flowing gold. As many times as I've been down to the Southwest, I've never made it to Sedona. Looks like its high time that I went. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited June 14, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Awesome shot! Those reflections are like flowing gold. As many times as I've been down to the Southwest, I've never made it to Sedona. Looks like its high time that I went. :D

Thanks Mahesh. BTW, the next full moon in Sedona will occur on July 7th. The very best time to shoot it will be on July 5th...on this date, the setting sun will illuminate the face of the rocks, with the moon coming up behind at the same time. Makes for a somewhat "easy" exposure without the pesky shadows. Waiting until a day later, the sun will have already set before the moon rises, so you'll end up with a "dusky" shot and some shadows. Of course, all of this depends on the cooperation of the clouds and Mother Nature. :D
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    This is beautiful. Great light and depth. Congratulations.
    wendell
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Lovely composition, great colors, the moon is just icing on the cake.

I think it would look a little better if the foreground and sky were a little closer in brightness, even with a 3-stop GND there's still quite a bit of difference between the two. Hard shot to expose, but you did good.
    edited June 14, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Lovely composition, great colors, the moon is just icing on the cake.

I think it would look a little better if the foreground and sky were a little closer in brightness, even with a 3-stop GND there's still quite a bit of difference between the two. Hard shot to expose, but you did good.

The creek was pretty much all in shadow...you can see where the natural shadow line is at the base of the buttes. This is pretty much how it looked to my eye at the time. One mistake that a lot of folks make with GND's is to select a filter that "balances" or "equalizes" out the exposure, when in reality the sky will always be brighter than the foreground. With this in mind, I try to keep about a 1-stop difference between the foreground and sky. But thanks for critiquing...its the only way to improve.