1. 562806137_m9N2f-L.jpg

2. 562806289_TFKCg-L.jpg
Steve

Website

Comments

• Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    #1 - amazing detail in the rock. My eyes really wander on this image trying to find the composition's focus - complicated more by the B/W. The brightest rock in the foreground pulls my attention, and if I crop your image just above that rock, I don't think you miss anything.

#2 - I love the bottom "splash" area of the falls. I think this image is stronger compositionally - my eyes know where to rest. I would though clone out the bent plant leave/stick in the splash area. On the left side of the splash area there is a vertical stream of water that doesn't have a source, which makes me think there might be some detail you could bring out in the dark area of this image.

Both images have very nice, stong B/W conversion thumb.gif.

Hope this helps.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    You see, this is why I need to wait awhile before posting a critique - now I think I am liking #1 better because of the beautiful detail in the rock.

I am going to mull this over for a while and make a final decision is a bit. :D
    - Christopher
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Your too funny whiterice... decision decisions..ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gifrofl

This one is easy actually.. # 1 all the way..

I like the way the waterfall rests in the frame to the left... I would crop a little off the top and a little off the bottom, tighten it up just a bit, but not too much..

#2 is ok, but I don't like that big black hole or the stick on the ground. And too me it looks like a scary face in the waterfall rock with its mouth wide open.. probably my own imagination, it gets that way with rocks and abstracts..

There's my take.. Good luck...

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    Yup, my very final decision is #1.
    - Christopher
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009

#2 is ok, but I don't like that big black hole or the stick on the ground. And too me it looks like a scary face in the waterfall rock with its mouth wide open.. probably my own imagination, it gets that way with rocks and abstracts..

While I believe that number 1 is a better overall composition, it is the "scary face" in number 2 that caught my attention. Never noticed it until I made the B/W conversion.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    yes and that is one scary face too.... which ever one you choose good luck.. and ya never know, maybe the scary face will make an impact on the judges just for that reason? ya never know it could go either way..

Kat
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I like the way #1 pulls me through the picture. Great shots!thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    #1 the composition is alot more pleasing to my eye, with #2 I feel its cropped to tight around the "waterfall" if it is a crop opening it up could help.

I guess the best way to explain it is #1 feels more like a full "landscape" to me with mutliple layers, while #2 is more about the detail of the waterfall