Options

Badminton Poster

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Sports

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 13, 2009
    I like the concept for the poster. One thing I might change is either remove the translucent shot or add a couple at varying transparencies-maybe rotate them just a tad. And remove the tiny image on the lower right.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    I really like this poster. Only thing I would do differently would be to remove the square images, so all images are of the same style. One other thing I would try is to remove the transparent images, and use one big transparent image of her with either her medal or trophy as the background. When placing the other images, I would make sure that you don't cover the face or the medal/trophy. If you could do these, you would have a killer poster. Also, I would leave the logo for the tournament in the bottom right corner right where it's at.

How did you remove the backgronds from the images of the girl? Nice job on that!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Nice....

cc: I would make the three individual shots larger.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Thanks Ian. I appreciate the feedback. I have three other players from the club to make these for, so need lots of good ideas!

These will hang at the club ( a pretty ritzy club here in Edmonton) as well as at the players home, so I am really trying for something special!

ann

ian408 wrote:
    I like the concept for the poster. One thing I might change is either remove the translucent shot or add a couple at varying transparencies-maybe rotate them just a tad. And remove the tiny image on the lower right.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Thanks GaryB. That is two votes for removing the transparent image.

I like the idea of using the photo of her with her medal.

I included the small square photos as I had wanted to include some doubles photos but they just weren't working, and I thought this was a good alternative.

I am pretty brute force at removing backgrounds - crop close, zoom tight and erase! I have yet to successfully use selections to do this, except when I was selecting a black signature from a white background. Then I could select by color.

ann
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I really like this poster. Only thing I would do differently would be to remove the square images, so all images are of the same style. One other thing I would try is to remove the transparent images, and use one big transparent image of her with either her medal or trophy as the background. When placing the other images, I would make sure that you don't cover the face or the medal/trophy. If you could do these, you would have a killer poster. Also, I would leave the logo for the tournament in the bottom right corner right where it's at.

How did you remove the backgronds from the images of the girl? Nice job on that!

GaryB
  • Options
    zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I would put the three rect. shots together somewhere and would do a complete cutout of the shot lower right side.

I like the main shot with the "shadow image" behind it.
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    time2smile wrote:
    Nice....

cc: I would make the three individual shots larger.

Thanks, Ted. I'll see what I can do with that.

ann
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    hi Ann,

I like the concept, but a couple of suggestions/nits:

B/c (I think) her "triple crown" came from winning singles, doubles and mixed doubles, I think having her medal pictures w/ her partners is appropriate. What if you were a bit more conventional w/ those and have those three images all run along the bottom of the poster? It would be less random and make the triple championships more obvious.

Also, I think you could clean up the cut outs of a couple of the images - the small one directly above the logo (you need to clean out the stuff between her shoulder and raquet and between the legs); the bottom left image looks like you still have background near the base of her raquet and around her hair. I imagine that it was relatively dark in the gym and that it is hard to separate out the player from the background, but IMHO, I think it would really make those images stand out more.

Glad to see that you survived the badminton tourny :D

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    Zacker and Colleen

I have been considering all of the valuable advice here.

Surviving the tournament is one thing, delivering the orders is a totally different story!

Thanks so much.

ann
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    571560278_GdXKX-XL.jpg

I have taken all your feedback, and come up with this - let me have it!

ann
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    I think you almost have a winner! I personally would slide the photo of her with the medal to the right side, and make it non-transparent, and arrange some of the smaller images to the left side. The main focus should be the one with the medal, as it is the end result. The smaller images should show the road to the end result (so to speak). I would try not to cover up any part of the medal. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. ne_nau.gif

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    Thats a winner....really nice work

I would move her over a bit so the ribbon to the metal is not block by her head.
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I think you almost have a winner! I personally would slide the photo of her with the medal to the right side, and make it non-transparent, and arrange some of the smaller images to the left side. The main focus should be the one with the medal, as it is the end result. The smaller images should show the road to the end result (so to speak). I would try not to cover up any part of the medal. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. ne_nau.gif

GaryB

I can try changing the opacity on the medal photo.

I don't think I will put the action shots to the right - I have this thing about players facing toward the inside of the poster!

Thanks

ann
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    time2smile wrote:
    Thats a winner....really nice work

I would move her over a bit so the ribbon to the metal is not block by her head.

Thanks TEd, I can make that tweak.

ann
  • Options
    shphotosshphotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Ann-
    I really like this version. I think it is much better than your original. I might try a different font on the smaller words (her name and below) and increase the size of the action photo on the right, just to balance the poster a bit. I like the three small medal photos together, and you've done a great job of overlapping the action photos. The red lettering is perfect with the colors in the photos. Well done!
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    lookin' good - but a couple of suggestions...

what if you moved the large background photo of her w/ her medal a bit to the right (so her sleeve lines up about with the edge of the picture w/ her mixed doubles partner) and made it more opaque? Then you won't see the ackward cut off of her leg hanging out above the portrait to the left. Then I would remove the small action shot on the right as well. That also has the advantage that all the action cut outs to the left won't seem quite so crowded.

hth

C.
    Colleen

• Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    Sorry for being so picky, but I know thats what you want...thumb.gif

I just noticed the spacing between the three single shots are not even. May i suggest that you space them evenly with each other, and maybe with the boarder of the poster itself.
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    You have gotten some great feedback here,
    the second version is 500% better,
    remove the little cut out on the bottom right slide the medal shot to the right gives you more room and fixes the severed leg, I would also increase the opacity on that one. Try to move the cutouts around to give a less jumbled aoearence, the darker gradient BG is very nice.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Okay, I have assembled the other three, and taken much of the advice here in doing so, and in modifying the first. Please pick these apart. Whether I heed your advise is to be seen, but I am asking! mwink.gif

These have the medal pic at 100% opacity. Not sure about that.

My dh suggests finding a way to get rid of the background color showing through the raquets. Ideas?

582231341_N8R5Y-L.jpg

I did not have a medal pic of the one boy, so stole the medal from one of the girls!
    582232811_ukAqL-L.jpg

On Nathan's, I will probably get rid of the errant birdie, from pic 2 but floating near the first pic.

582233591_xZNLs-L.jpg

582232087_axQby-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif WOW thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Those look awesome now! I wouldn't change a thing!

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    582231341_N8R5Y-M.jpg
    from Takeisha's - I really like the curve of the cut-outs to the right, they complement the curve of her portrait nicely. However, her portrait seems odd, cut off and hanging in mid air. Is there any way you can extend it to the bottom and anchor it there? I might also separate the logo and the double partners portrait - may be on opposite sides? Possibly you can treat it like you did Nathan's and have the net/court come all the way across?

Ann McRae wrote:
    I did not have a medal pic of the one boy, so stole the medal from one of the girls!
    582232811_ukAqL-M.jpg

Mac also has the same issue as Takeisha w/ his portrait floating... Also, I know you probably can't do anything about it, but it looks pretty obvious that you cut him out of the paired portait below as his left arm looks ackward. If that side was on the right of the poster (like for Josephine), it might not be so bad... (but it looks like you laid it out that way so the action would be facing in...). Maybe for both Takeisha and Mac you can leave out the pair portrait by parenthetically listing the partner at the bottom of the text?) [nice job on the medal btw]
    Ann McRae wrote:
    On Nathan's, I will probably get rid of the errant birdie, from pic 2 but floating near the first pic.

582233591_xZNLs-M.jpg

I think this is my favorite of the bunch. I like how the court/net extends across the bottom and gives a natural end to the main portrait. You also did a nice job separating the logo and portrait pairs. Outside of the errant birdie and maybe fixing the bkgd in the raquets, there isn't much I would change.

Ann McRae wrote:
    582232087_axQby-M.jpg

Josephine's is also looking good thumb.gif For much the same reasons that Nathan's works well.

As for suggestions about clearing out the racquet... I agree w/ your DH that it would be better if you can fix it... What if you cut out the insides of the racquet and made it transparent so the layer below shows up, but then decrease the opacity of that layer just below the raquet (so it looks like the strings are what's making it look different from the background)

I hth and I really appreciate the opportunity to see these various iterations as it helps make you think about what works and doesn't work.
    Colleen

• Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    Thanks, time2smile and brophoto!

ann
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    from Takeisha's - I really like the curve of the cut-outs to the right, they complement the curve of her portrait nicely. However, her portrait seems odd, cut off and hanging in mid air. Is there any way you can extend it to the bottom and anchor it there? I might also separate the logo and the double partners portrait - may be on opposite sides? Possibly you can treat it like you did Nathan's and have the net/court come all the way across?

I will try moving Takeisha down, not sure if the net photo is wide enough but I will look at that too.

Mac also has the same issue as Takeisha w/ his portrait floating... Also, I know you probably can't do anything about it, but it looks pretty obvious that you cut him out of the paired portait below as his left arm looks ackward. If that side was on the right of the poster (like for Josephine), it might not be so bad... (but it looks like you laid it out that way so the action would be facing in...). Maybe for both Takeisha and Mac you can leave out the pair portrait by parenthetically listing the partner at the bottom of the text?) [nice job on the medal btw]

The real problem with Mac's hand is that he has it tucked inside his sweater - not available! I agree about wanting to move him to the right, but (other than putting the action looking in) I am uncertain about that racquet being in the center of the collage.

I think this is my favorite of the bunch. I like how the court/net extends across the bottom and gives a natural end to the main portrait. You also did a nice job separating the logo and portrait pairs. Outside of the errant birdie and maybe fixing the bkgd in the raquets, there isn't much I would change.

Josephine's is also looking good thumb.gif For much the same reasons that Nathan's works well.

As for suggestions about clearing out the racquet... I agree w/ your DH that it would be better if you can fix it... What if you cut out the insides of the racquet and made it transparent so the layer below shows up, but then decrease the opacity of that layer just below the raquet (so it looks like the strings are what's making it look different from the background)

I hth and I really appreciate the opportunity to see these various iterations as it helps make you think about what works and doesn't work.

Thanks much Colleen. I'll tweak these some more. Haven't heard back from the client yet either and I am sure she will have input!

ann
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

Much improved over your first attempts at these! I like! :D