colour shift between lightroom and firefox?

markbrmarkbr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 14, 2009 in Finishing School
In my not so successful attempts at trying to get rid a decent babies skin color I noticed that
when viewing photos in Firefox and then comparing it side by side in Lightroom that the colors where completely
different in the 2 applications.

I have been using the spyder3 for monitor calibration so though that might be the reason but having uninstalled the program the result is the same.

Here is a picture showing the problem

http://fluffyduk.smugmug.com/gallery/8549977_38PXF#563142745_YfJrG

Does anyone know why or how to fix this?

Thanks for any advice
Mark

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    There was a thread on this topic recently; here are a couple of useful links:

http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/hardware_calibrate_monitor.html

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm

A search on "calibrate monitor" might be useful…

Hope this helps -
    - Wil

PS: Here's the one I was looking for:

http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/

Click on "SEE COLOR MANAGEMENT IN ACTION Color Management Web Tutorial" (great tutorial!)

(I seem to remember something about needing a plug-in for Firefox to get it to work correctly…)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • markbrmarkbr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 14, 2009
    Hi Wil,
    Thanks for the links, I have now found out what was causing the problem.
    It was due to the wide color gamut monitor I have. Even when exporting to
    sRGB if you dont turn on color management in firefox there will be a saturation of red,
    which was exactly what I was seeing.

Just in case anyone else has this problem type into the address bar:
    about:config
    an set gfx.color_management.enabled to true

Anyway, thanks again
    Mark
  • BGtomBGtom Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    @#$%$^%& costco
    My apologies for a brief sidetrack, but I just re-experienced this FRUSTRATING problem. Costco doesn't understand RGB/ProRGB, etc... export from PS/Lightroom. While I sell prints from Smug, I also fullfill face to face orders from Costco because it's fast and cheap. BUT. I've had to reprint dozens of prints because I exported as RGB/proRGB from lightroom, upload to Costco, recieve back gray and desaturated pix. Re-export from LR as sRGB, re-upload, re-print...everything fine. $^&^&)!@#$#$%^!!!!

My question [yes there was one] Is RGB a problem for EZPrints? Since Bay CC's by hand [as I understand it] I shouldn't have a problem with them, but how about EZPrints?

The problem doesn't show up in a browser window, either IE or FF for me when browsing my Smug galleries; it's only when viewing uploads in Costco Photo online that you can see the thumbnails are gray.

I would love a calibrator, but so far my work is not color critical enough to matter, and I haven't had any evil surprises, but seems like it wouldn't have helped in this case anyway. I must have nudged the color space dropdown in LR a week or two ago. AAAARRRRGH!

Thanks and my apologies for the aside/diatribe; though I should point out that I have no other issues with Costco print. For the most part, their prints match my monitor [I always QC before I deliver, and print a color chart from time to time], and it's really nice that they know me when I walk in the door and will do stuff for me on the spot if they can. Oh, and there cheeeeep...and I love Smug.

T
    Canon 7D! | Baux Pinhole MkIV | 30mm TP Tube Extender | SteadiHand IS system | BiPed 2000 Camera Support | Steely Gaze
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    BGtom wrote:
    My apologies for a brief sidetrack, but I just re-experienced this FRUSTRATING problem. Costco doesn't understand RGB/ProRGB, etc... export from PS/Lightroom. While I sell prints from Smug, I also fullfill face to face orders from Costco because it's fast and cheap. BUT. I've had to reprint dozens of prints because I exported as RGB/proRGB from lightroom, upload to Costco, recieve back gray and desaturated pix. Re-export from LR as sRGB, re-upload, re-print...everything fine. $^&^&)!@#$#$%^!!!!

My question [yes there was one] Is RGB a problem for EZPrints? Since Bay CC's by hand [as I understand it] I shouldn't have a problem with them, but how about EZPrints?

The problem doesn't show up in a browser window, either IE or FF for me when browsing my Smug galleries; it's only when viewing uploads in Costco Photo online that you can see the thumbnails are gray.

I would love a calibrator, but so far my work is not color critical enough to matter, and I haven't had any evil surprises, but seems like it wouldn't have helped in this case anyway. I must have nudged the color space dropdown in LR a week or two ago. AAAARRRRGH!

Thanks and my apologies for the aside/diatribe; though I should point out that I have no other issues with Costco print. For the most part, their prints match my monitor [I always QC before I deliver, and print a color chart from time to time], and it's really nice that they know me when I walk in the door and will do stuff for me on the spot if they can. Oh, and there cheeeeep...and I love Smug.

T
    Costco (as do most consumer print labs) requires sRGB images. If you give them an image in any other colorspace, you will not like the print you get because they are not prepared to handle it.

When you upload an image to Smugmug in something other than sRGB, Smugmug converts it to sRGB for you so that it will work decently in both browsers and with EZPrints.

When you export from Lightroom for web use or for nearly any consumer print lab, you should choose sRGB as the colorspace. That will prevent this problem from occuring in the future.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question