Dpp question?

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited June 27, 2009 in Finishing School
In DPP there is an Option called Lens tune in the noise menu, What does it do?

If you guys need a screen shot I can post one when I get back from dinner.

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Do you mean lens aberration correction?
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Do you mean lens aberration correction?
    Yes I do Neil,

I like to figure out how to use that!
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 25, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Yes I do Neil,
    I like to figure out how to use that!

It isn't a bad addition to DPP. The latest version also has highlight and shadow fix sliders added.

Canon lenses that are hard-programmed in the DPP software can have chromatic abberation, barrel and pincushion correction, and light fall off correction with that tool. Non-Canon lenses and Canon lenses not yet on the list cannot be corrected and the tool will be greyed out if that's the case. The list of lenses that can be corrected is in the PDF instructions. Those lenses roughly correlate to the in-camera fixes in the latest Canon bodies.

For a more comprehensive tool, and one that includes not only Canon lenses, but most all popular lenses for most camera bodies (plus point and shoots), you can use the popular PTLens plug-in for Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro, etc.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    David,

thanks for pointing out PTLens. I was unaware of it.

Dan
    David_S85 wrote:
    It isn't a bad addition to DPP. The latest version also has highlight and shadow fix sliders added.

Canon lenses that are hard-programmed in the DPP software can have chromatic abberation, barrel and pincushion correction, and light fall off correction with that tool. Non-Canon lenses and Canon lenses not yet on the list cannot be corrected and the tool will be greyed out if that's the case. The list of lenses that can be corrected is in the PDF instructions. Those lenses roughly correlate to the in-camera fixes in the latest Canon bodies.

For a more comprehensive tool, and one that includes not only Canon lenses, but most all popular lenses for most camera bodies (plus point and shoots), you can use the popular PTLens plug-in for Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro, etc.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    The only one of these tools in DPP I use consistently is CA.

I did begin to do the lens adjustment as a matter of course, but then found that it softened the image very unacceptably. So, warning about that!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix