Yikes - I am late for #27

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited June 14, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
House guests, glitches, bad weather, etc. etc. and here it is the eve of the deadline and I don't have much to offer.

For those of you who have a moment, please let me know if you think any of these is worth entering in the current challenge.

Reflections

563590583_wcApo-L.jpg

2. Spring Bouquet in Shades of Gray

563592155_EgthM-L.jpg

3. Waiting Its Turn

563595271_B3hRj-L.jpg

4. Waiting Its Turn (uncropped)

563594450_TJzQW-L.jpg

Thanks!!

Virginia

Email

Comments

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    #1 for me. That is the one that grabs my attention. I like the bouquet and peony's too, but that don't have quite the same impact to me.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    3/4 look to be the best, I am not sold on the crop for 3 but I like the idea of the crop, you are turning the white flower almost into this pillowy texture for the bud to be jetting from, and I am a sucker cool textures.

My first impression is moving the bud down a little in the crop, but there could be alot in this image, just try alot of small changes in the position of the crop

Also if you could isolate the bud and up its contrast that would help since it is becoming the focus of the image
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    #3 is a real beauty. Great title for this image.....this is a tricky one - you have to make the bud the center of attention, yet show enough of the blossom for context (and to complete the title). I like the crop as is, perhaps though there is a little more detail to bring out of the midtones of the bud?

I like it...lots! Nice job, especially on a tight schedule. thumb.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Hi Virginia,

I don't have more to add. I basically agree with the last 2 posts. The white flower has taken over too much of the photograph such that the bud which is the main subject is being distracted by it. Play with the crop some more and it would be the best of the bunch.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I do like the look of #3. The bud having the focus and the white flower giving it background and contrast.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Plenty of time :D

#4 takes my vote.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    #1 and #4...

# 1 is in need of some crop work though..thumb.gif

My fav is #3... but it does not fit theme.. :cry,, what about if you flip it vertical standing and crop the bottom? then it wont look like 2 flowers, yet it will be sitting on top of petals? food for thought... I really love # 3..

Kat
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I agree that 1 is a great shot, but it seems like you'd have to have a wide interpretation of the theme to get it to work, but maybe the judges are fine with that. ne_nau.gif

3/4 seem like they work with the theme more directly... I might take 4 and crop it the other direction (crop out the right) and make it a square image.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I'm liking #3. A lot. thumb.gif I agree with the comments about a crop for it. Have you experimented with a portrait crop on it?
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I have another idea. Take #3 just the way it is and do some vignette on it to mask part of the white flower that is on the left side of the image. Try both black and white vignette and see which one looks better.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Just got back to my computer.

I'll see what I can do with cropping the flower shot. I did do a vertical, but didn't like it.

I'll also see if I can add just a bit more contrast to the bud.

I'm falling asleep here, but dgrin calls!!

Thanks all for taking the time to comment and make suggestions. Very helpful, as usual. iloveyou.gif

Virginia

Email