Desaturation - your examples please

whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
edited June 16, 2009 in Finishing School
Just curious to learn why a photographer would desaturate a photo in PP.

I've used PS for a few years and am just now experimenting with saturation and desaturation.

Do you use this for color correction or for artistic reasons, or both?! I'd really be interested to see any examples.

Thanks in advance for helping this noob.
- Christopher
My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Just curious to learn why a photographer would desaturate a photo in PP.

I've used PS for a few years and am just now experimenting with saturation and desaturation.

Do you use this for color correction or for artistic reasons, or both?! I'd really be interested to see any examples.

Thanks in advance for helping this noob.
    "Artistic reasons" seems to be a bit pretentious at my level of photography, but I will sometimes desaturate part of an image and leave part of the image in color in order emphasize what I think is the essential part of the image. To do this, of course, requires a little practice with a Layer Mask.

yellowboat.jpg

472170646_Hgzqv-L.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    You asked about simple desaturation, and I gave you examples of partial desaturation. Sometimes I have an image where I can't make up my mind whether it is better in color or better in black and white. Here's an example. This was taken in a place where the owner let me photograph some objects, but didn't want me rearranging things. I had to take the background clutter as it was.

434836014_SESjL-L.jpg
    434836251_S38Jt-L.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I'm with Tony, I use desaturation for artistic reasons to focus on a subject.
    490202218_RrZ94-L-3.jpg
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited June 15, 2009
    I frequently do local desaturation to reduce background distractions when I am shooting on the street. Those damn red no entry signs seem to be everywhere and they are easy to overlook when you're focused on something else. If I have done my job properly, you wouldn't notice the effect when viewing the pic.

As for selective color, I use it only rarely. When I do, I don't actually desaturate, but rather do a channel-based B&W conversion and then mask out the part I want in color. It is far easier to control local contrast that way.
    536230939_3wEtZ-L.jpg

Partly desaturated portraits are all the rage these days. I don't have a lot of personal experience with this style, but again, I think you get better artistic control if instead of desaturating you use a masked B&W conversion layer and tweak its opacity.

286969878_xxPiQ-L.jpg
  • eminarteminart Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    I, personally, only use desaturation when I want something partially desaturated. A partially desaturated photo can give a certain feel......... maybe antique, or soft light, or almost like sepia, or ........ I don't know it's hard to explain.

However, if you are going to completely desaturate, you'll be better off using a B&W conversion layer. It gives you much more control.
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    eminart wrote:
    I, personally, only use desaturation when I want something partially desaturated. A partially desaturated photo can give a certain feel......... maybe antique, or soft light, or almost like sepia, or ........ I don't know it's hard to explain.

However, if you are going to completely desaturate, you'll be better off using a B&W conversion layer. It gives you much more control.
    15524779-Ti.gif

This is fairly important. I don't know why the partially desaturated photos are so popular right now, I find they often look too soft. I'm all for going one way or the other, though at times, there may be a good reason to use it. I do find myself leaning in the direction of specialized actions---sepia, antique, vintage---so I add texture as well as the color effect.

I never use ONLY the saturation slider for a B&W conversion. Even in Elements, I can get a better balance using the levels sliders. There are also a lot of free B&W conversion actions out there that give you great results.

For me, in Photoshop Elements, the saturation slider comes into play if I'm trying to match or change a color, say, to change the color of a piece of clothing or something in the background. It's a different process in PSCS vs. PSE, I don't know the PSCS workflow.

But in general, the saturation slider can lead to dull B&W (on the left) and bright, overblown, cartoon-y colors (on the right). In my beginning days I used the saturation slider instead of understanding brightness, contrast, shadows, and highlights. Quite a few of my early jpegs are now oversaturated (or under) and I can't get them back.

Sarah
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Zia.jpg
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Here's an example where I desautrated a portrait- it softens the image and hides subtle flaws. (the client liked the results)
    207097214_qTe3z-M-1.jpg
    207098433_EAbYD-M-1.jpg
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Wow guys, thanks. This is very helpful.

I never thought to selectively desaturate, but it makes so much sense.
    - Christopher
    edited June 16, 2009
    Jwar wrote:
    I'm with Tony, I use desaturation for artistic reasons to focus on a subject.

490202218_RrZ94-L-3.jpg
    What a great image Jay, thanks for sharing.
    - Christopher
    edited June 16, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    You asked about simple desaturation, and I gave you examples of partial desaturation. Sometimes I have an image where I can't make up my mind whether it is better in color or better in black and white. Here's an example. This was taken in a place where the owner let me photograph some objects, but didn't want me rearranging things. I had to take the background clutter as it was.

434836014_SESjL-L.jpg
    434836251_S38Jt-L.jpg

What a great way to emphasize your subject...works really well here Tony.
    - Christopher
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Here are some samples where I used desat for effect.

565881599_YrTzS-L.jpg

565881586_R3qoW-L.jpg

565881554_FmdUZ-L.jpg
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 16, 2009
    If you watch the lighting in a stage production, the lighting on the main subject is usually brighter, more intense than on the background or the secondary figures. This is not an accident....

You can accomplish this kind of emphasis, with separate strobe lighting in the studio when you shoot flash. Brighter on the subject, than the background.

Likewise, you can select the background in Photoshop, and desaturate it or flatten the luminosity curve to de-emphasize the background relative to the main subject, or do both. I do this not infrequently.

Here is a little girl whose color is slightly more intense than the colorful green background behind her.

545692919_7Rnqv-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin