Saturation Hell: Is this thing okay?

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited June 18, 2009 in Cameras
I've been noticing an annoying thing happening with the D700. Strong colors are being recorded way over-saturated, even in bokeh as you'll see. I went around today to try to get it to happen, and happen it did, way too often. All the files are 14-bit lossless-compressed RAW.

Have a look and please, if anybody has a D700 or D3 let me know if this is a peculiarity of this camera or if you think this thing needs servicing. I have come to understand there is a learning curve with this camera that goes beyond simply how to operate the controls. It doesn't expose the same way as any Canon camera I've owned, so I assume I just have to figure out it's vagaries. I also think that it is possibly overexposing frequently, maybe by a full stop, in other cases. Keep an eye on the histogram—there's often a huge spike.

The problem of the saturation is sometimes helped by a white balance adjustment, but never enough to make it disappear completely. Canons have a well-known problem with rich reds, but a saturation adjustment always smoothly dropped it down with minimal artifacts. Dropping saturation (either overall, or using Lightroom's HSL to individually drop certain channels) keeps the obvious distortion or banding until finally dropping out so much color, the object or color it should be in unrecognizable.

Can anybody tell me what's going on?

564009450_Vtr9e-O.png
564009448_8o6ZW-O.png

Here's just some bokeh I shot to see how it would react:

564009418_Mb7S9-O.png

Another, OOF magenta/red object (a bath toy in this case) that didn't take well to a saturation adjustment. by the time the over-saturation was removed, it became too pale:

564009470_yqs8w-L.png
564009499_FUXM9-L.png

And here's yet another, zoomed in on something blue in the BG:

564031080_9AVGz-O.png

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Pindy,

Your histograms all appear to be a typical value I get on my D300 or D700 anytime I use Vivid in the shooting menu. I rarely use vivid, for this reason.

I also find the same difficulty in LR2 regarding trying to soften the vivid details in color. I find less of a problem enhancing the colors versus trying to desat them with the Hue/Sat/Lum sliders.

Lastly, My D700 seems to overexpose by about a full stop....which is why I keep a -1.0 dialed in.

Hope this helps~
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 15, 2009
    Was this shot in tungsten/incandescent light?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Your histograms all appear to be a typical value I get on my D300 or D700 anytime I use Vivid in the shooting menu. I rarely use vivid, for this reason.

I shoot RAW and with the Standard Picture Control, so either way, VIVID isn't going to affect me.
    I also find the same difficulty in LR2 regarding trying to soften the vivid details in color. I find less of a problem enhancing the colors versus trying to desat them with the Hue/Sat/Lum sliders.

Lastly, My D700 seems to overexpose by about a full stop....which is why I keep a -1.0 dialed in.

Hope this helps~

It helps to know I'm not crazy or incompetent, but I wish this weren't the case.
    edited June 15, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Was this shot in tungsten/incandescent light?

The second-to-last last one (bath toy) was shot in incandescent light, but there was a little bit of dusk coming through a skylight, so the correct WB was about 3500K. All the others were shot in sunlight or in shade, with no artificial lights on. The worst thing is that I have more examples—many more—where a relatively vivid object just kills the overall, or where something with a lower-middle to shadow tone bands and like crazy.
    edited June 15, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    The second-to-last last one (bath toy) was shot in incandescent light, but there was a little bit of dusk coming through a skylight, so the correct WB was about 3500K. All the others were shot in sunlight or in shade, with no artificial lights on. The worst thing is that I have more examples—many more—where a relatively vivid object just kills the overall, or where something with a lower-middle to shadow tone bands and like crazy.

I saw that the WB was 4000 degrees or less. I noticed too that in one image you had to pull back the exposure in LR by -1, which could indicate an overexposure.

Reds tend to be tricky in warn white balance because the imager is balanced for daylight. In warm WB the reds are already more dominant and if you try to achieve anything above middle tones (according to the exposure metering of the camera) they blow out rather easily. This is also indicative of Bayer chips and you don't see this as much with the Foveon imagers (which have their own set of problems.)

Since only 25 percent of the image information is red, in a Bayer chip, when the red channel gets saturated the pure red subjects can lose all detail and become clipped.

The moral, shooting red subjects in warm white balance "requires" underexposure of the image in order to avoid supersaturation of the red channel, with the undesirable effects. The same is true of blue objects in a very "cool" white balance.

Unfortunately underexposing the image to save red detail may "grossly" underexpose the blue channel, and result in plugged shadows. For critical work you may have to blend 2 exposures to avoid the problems you will almost certainly encounter with a single exposure in these conditions.
    ziggy53
    edited June 15, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I saw that the WB was 4000 degrees or less. I noticed too that in one image you had to pull back the exposure in LR by -1, which could indicate an overexposure.

Some of the indoors shots, with natural light looked best with lower-than-anticipated WB settings, as you saw. The -1 you mentioned was part of the +1 stop overexposure I'm experiencing, and angevin1 corroborated. This was just to get my son's skin tones to look like he wasn't reflecting a supernova.
    Reds tend to be tricky in warn white balance because the imager is balanced for daylight. In warm WB the reds are already more dominant and if you try to achieve anything above middle tones (according to the exposure metering of the camera) they blow out rather easily. This is also indicative of Bayer chips and you don't see this as much with the Foveon imagers (which have their own set of problems.)

Since only 25 percent of the image information is red, in a Bayer chip, when the red channel gets saturated the pure red subjects can lose all detail and become clipped.

The moral, shooting red subjects in warm white balance "requires" underexposure of the image in order to avoid supersaturation of the red channel, with the undesirable effects. The same is true of blue objects in a very "cool" white balance.

Unfortunately underexposing the image to save red detail may "grossly" underexpose the blue channel, and result in plugged shadows. For critical work you may have to blend 2 exposures to avoid the problems you will almost certainly encounter with a single exposure in these conditions.

If this is part of learning my craft—fine—I'm up for the challenge, but the green object blew out at 5500K (outdoors), which doesn't make any sense to me. There is more that seems unusual, which I may post here, but I don't see other people complaining of this sort of thing, outside of our own dear angevin1. The point about blocked shadows as a result of compensating for a red/warm or blue/cool object makes sense; I just don't recall seeing this level of susceptibility with any other camera.
    edited June 15, 2009
    opening this thread on an Apple Cinema Display shows not nearly as much of the supersaturation effect. Wow. In fact, it's clearly more manageable. The green bokeh, for example, doesn't show any rough borders or clipping as I'm seeing on my laptop screen. It seems obvious that a laptop could have a gamut limitation that would show this type of problem and this one is from summer 2006, so it's possibly more worn out. The double-decker bus and the blue blob are almost free of clipping. A screenshot is agnostic to the error and I expect many people reading this may not see a problem, but without that feedback, there's no way for me to know.

I suppose it goes without saying that a calibrated monitor is essential—and all my monitors are calibrated frequently. Perhaps aging is the biggest enemy here. Gonna look at these in LR on the Apple and Dell 24" displays and probably learn something about this exercise.
    edited June 15, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:

Hope this helps~

I noticed there is a CF that lets you trim the sensitivity of the exposure for each metering mode. What would be the best method to calibrate a sensor for exposure? Perhaps an evenly lit gray card shot and somehow determining in photoshop how far the exposure is from 18% gray?
    edited June 15, 2009
    I just flipped through the 20-odd profiles in my Display preferences which all had dramatic effects on the supersaturated colors, in many cases making them positively pale. Clearly some workflow issues to deal with.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

I prefer to solve this problem the old fashioned way with an 80A filter. Software correction of exteme WB always looks off even if you shoot RAW.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    pindy, just as data point on my uncalibrated laptop monitor. the 1st shot of the bus doesn't appear overstaturated to me. The only one that may bother me is the bath toy.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited June 16, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I prefer to solve this problem the old fashioned way with an 80A filter. Software correction of exteme WB always looks off even if you shoot RAW.

I haven't tried any kind of analogue solution yet. Thanks for the tip.
    edited June 16, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    pindy, just as data point on my uncalibrated laptop monitor. the 1st shot of the bus doesn't appear overstaturated to me. The only one that may bother me is the bath toy.

Yeah, I think most of the supersaturation problem is my laptop, as both my desktop monitors are much better and I would have the same assessment as you. Might be time to replace laptop or add an external monitor.

This saturation issue is just one in a series of little niggles with the switch to Nikon, all tied into "switcher's remorse" :D . All color-related. I would guess that the monitoring issue might be contributing to all of them somewhat, but I'm still feeling like the D700 overexposes a lot of the time (examples to follow) and the way it renders skin tones is something I'm not used to yet. This is why I think there's a learning curve: I'm not used to the color rendering yet and it's got me scratching my head at times. Ziggy's sensor info has been helpful, in terms of what to be aware of.

I mentioned in another thread that I cannot get my green wall fabric to show up on the sensor as having any color, no matter what I do to the exposure or the WB. It makes me wonder what else it's not recording . It's little things like this that made me think there's something out of whack inside this camera—or possibly in my own head. The light is side-lit daylight coming through a wide window. The orange electrical sockets are accurate. Here's a picture of the wall:

561190877_TpyRB-L.jpg

The wall fabric is supposed to look something like in between one of these:

565884236_hraeN-O.png
    565885820_2nM4t-O.png

I look at other people's D700/D3 photos and I don't see anything wrong with them—I just want to get to the bottom of what I'm seeing. Again, thanks for the help.
    edited June 16, 2009
    Is this an image from your camera or is it a screen grab?
    ziggy53
    edited June 16, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Is this an image from your camera or is it a screen grab?

It's an image from the camera, processed minimally from the RAW and uploaded as an sRGB JPEG. on my better monitors, it's also lacking color.

1/5s, f/8 ISO 200, manual WB (would have to open LR to find out).
    edited June 17, 2009
    I found another picture I had taken a few weeks ago in one of the same locations and it handled vivid objects just fine. I think, in the end, light is either flattering or unflattering, and sometimes it's difficult to tell how the camera is going to react to it. It is difficult for me to be all right with the fact that sometimes the light isn't good (for the camera at least) and it will make a bad photograph. I suppose this is why the Strobists and McNallys of this world are so into lighting because they are making it good no matter where they are. Again, it seems, the human is the weak link here. I have been given the advice to only shoot people in flattering light and this would appear to be true.
    edited June 17, 2009
    Here's that same blue-green fabric wall taken with an iPhone. I think the light in here foils all cameras.

566656015_By88n-L.jpg
    edited June 18, 2009
    This was taken today with my wife's 400D (6500K). Same deal! it's like a black hole for green in there. It's amazing how easy it is for fear, uncertainty and doubt to take hold. I re-watched part of Reichmann & Schewe's Camera To Print videos and they have a great bit on camera profiling. I think confidence is a very good thing to have. One Gretag-MacBeth color checker please.

567700195_iEBZP-L.jpg