House Burning

Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
edited June 16, 2009 in People
Well recently I have been interning at a local photography studio and have had the opportunity to shoot a wedding and see some studio family shoots and such so far. The guy I am interning with is also a volunteer fire fighter here where I live. He invited me to a house burning they were doing and said I could get some great shots so I headed out there. There was probably close to 60 fire fighters out there working on their skills and it was just great to see them at work. The owner of the house was providing the house as a favor for all the business (he is an electrician) they have given him. He was having it burnt down so he could build a house in its place to go with the 3 garages he has already built. Ya 3 garages! Anyways due to time constraints I didn't get to be there once it finally went up in flames but I got some good shots before hand! I hope you enjoy them and I hope to see some C & C!

Cutting a vent in the roof
DSC_0021ed.jpg

DSC_0066ed.jpg

Notice the little teddy bear
DSC_0090ed.jpg

DSC_0098ed.jpg

DSC_0107ed.jpg

DSC_0114ed.jpg

DSC_0118ed.jpg

DSC_0132ed.jpg

DSC_0144ed.jpg

The guy I am interning for
DSC_0150ed.jpg

DSC_0157ed.jpg

Comments

• LukeWoodfordLukeWoodford Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    I like these, you have caught the scene really well, id like to see a couple mono coversions though.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Yes you got some great shots indeed!! The color is great. Love the teddy bear. Thanks for sharing.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Thanks for the comments! Ya I am not sure if the teddy bear made it through or not! I do know that 3 door bells bit the dust though! I am not sure what you mean by mono converstions. I was thinking about doing some vingette or doing an old school look to them.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Thanks for the comments! Ya I am not sure if the teddy bear made it through or not! I do know that 3 door bells bit the dust though! I am not sure what you mean by mono converstions. I was thinking about doing some vingette or doing an old school look to them.

----

There are some good images here - and you've approached the scenes in interesting ways. I particularly like the low angle on #6, the use of the "fire line" on #7, and the framing on nine. As to the teddy bear - a great catch, by the way, I'd crop it like this:

564587497_NBKoj-M.jpg

I'd also boost the contrast a bit.

As to the ax shot - I can see what you were going for, but it would have benefited from a sense of action - preferably the ax slightly blurred with a slow shutter speed as the fireman actually chopped. But short of that, I'd at least like to see the ax on the downswing.

Keep shooting!

B. D.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited June 15, 2009
    Thanks for the great critique! I like your crop as well. I did a quick once over of these. I just wanted to post them and share um! I thought it was a great thing to see and wanted to share it with all of you. As for the axe I tried to get some action but he wasnt swinging it back very far at all so it was tough to get. I will look through the other shots I got and see if I can add the motion blur. Thank your very much for your insight though!
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Nice shots! One thing firefighters don't get very often is decent pictures of them in action, since to get close enough to get the good shots you usually have to BE a firefighter, and if you're a firefighter and a house is burning, you've got more important things to do. :D I bet they'll like these a lot.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited June 15, 2009
    ya the guy I am interning for actually got some shots from inside when they were starting the fires. I haven't gotten a chance to see them but he said it gets pretty intense in there! He uses his D70s and says once it gets too hot for his hand in a glove he gets the camera out of there.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    I really like the action/emotions/intensity that you caught. The fire line tape one was a great angle. To be honest though, the colors are way vivid - although I'm viewing these on my not so recently calibrated monitor.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
    edited June 16, 2009
    Thanks for the response! I thought the tape one was one of my favorites from the day. What do you mean they are way too vivid? These are straight out of the camera and the only processing was a crop and the border.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Adding contrast and cutting the haze while still keeping the smoke makes at least this one shot a lot more dramatic and believable at the same time:

565416903_s4EqD-O.jpg

Mostly, I just did this with RGB curves on a luminosity blended layer:

565418080_7BJuW-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited June 16, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Adding contrast and cutting the haze while still keeping the smoke makes at least this one shot a lot more dramatic and believable at the same time:

565416903_s4EqD-O.jpg

Mostly, I just did this with RGB curves on a luminosity blended layer:

565418080_7BJuW-M.jpg

Thanks for the response! I honestly thought about removing some of the smoke but I was trying to minimize the amount of retouch on the pictures. I really like your version though and thank you for taking the time to make my shot better!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Like I said - could just be me but the colors appear oversaturated to me. Maybe it is just the combination of colors (yellow, orange, and red). If you shot these as jpegs, was your setting on vivid?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
    edited June 16, 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    Like I said - could just be me but the colors appear oversaturated to me. Maybe it is just the combination of colors (yellow, orange, and red). If you shot these as jpegs, was your setting on vivid?

I had my camera set to jpeg fine in normal. I dont shoot in vivid because it tends to throw too much saturation at it.