On working for free

2»

Comments

• barnyardbarnyard Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I don't know of any local smugmug users, other than me (that are/were photographers, I am a migrant from advrider, lots of riding buddies use smugmug.) The woman that bought my studio uses H&H for final prints and they offer hosting for pros, plus they print on Fuji paper (more archival than Kodak.) I've never ordered from SM because of kodak paper.....

Even though it should not matter, I am still finding that photographers use regional labs for final prints. H&H is out of our region, so there are very few H&H customers around here. None of the regional labs offer Fuji, so that can be a competitive advantage (it was for me.)

Tom B
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I am sure that if someone did a study on the difference between turn over rates from photographers to other professionals like doctors they would find that the numbers would not support the study of supply vs demand as suggested with this one.
    From what I see and read on most forums from the online photographers seems to be a lack of business skills. It appears that some believe a camera and a business card makes you a photographer.
    The people who spend their time searching places like craigslist for jobs are not the competition for most working pros. It seems that many rush into the photography business because some friend or family tells them how great their photos are. While great photos are nice, they are not going to land you much money in and of itself.
    Another problem comes with photographers who jump into a particular market without researching that market. At a casual glance the wedding market seems like a great gig, but if someone spends any time talking with the pros who make their living this way, they will find it is a ton of work and not so easy to pull in the large dollar weddings.
    If these photographers spent half as much time researching the business end as they did working the low end or free internet jobs they wouldn't have this problem.
    Steve

Website
  • xxclixxxxxclixxx Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Hey I started doing photography because someone told me I took good photos :D

Laughing.gif and no I'm not making a living off it! But I totally agree with you. The "get rich quick" mentality is EVERYWHERE. I'd rephrase it that people think if they have a camera, business card, and website they'll be a photograher.

I have been thinking about what I love to shoot (landscapes) and how to get better at shooting them, and figuring out how to make money from them. But I already have an internet business so I'm enjoying the long process ;-)
    Tim Linden
    http://www.riphoto.com/
    Please Vote - External Shopping Cart Links:
    http://uservoice.com/a/mL8RD
  • barnyardbarnyard Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    When we had our studio, we found that everytime the economy slowed, more people became "professional photographers."

My daughter works on the yearbook at her school and the trend with seniors is to have a non professional do senior pics. She said that the era I owned my studio, 95% of all senior yearbook photos came from studios, last year it was right around 60%.

Tom B