Red Rocks

Mother GooseMother Goose Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited June 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Hey everyone, I'm new here, and new to DSLRs. I picked up a Nikon D40 on Friday and have been messing around with it, trying to learn about the camera itself, and taking pictures. So I have A LOT to learn. My girlfriend's brother is on here, so he's the one that told me to jump on here.

Here's a couple of my first pictures with the camera. The girlfriend and I went up to Red Rocks (www.redrocksonline.com) on Sunday evening so I could take a couple pictures. What do you guys think? I need the critisism. BTW, none of these shots have been played with in Photoshop yet.

My favorite from the day.
dsc0057p.jpg

Took a few of this shot w/ different settings, but this one turned out the best I think.
dsc0054icb.jpg

I kept blinking on the other 2 shots, so she thought she'd help me out.
dsc0074y.jpg

Not sure if the flash helped or hurt this one. I'm still up in the air about it.
dsc0040guz.jpg
Chadwick
Nikon D40

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Welcome, Mother Goose! I'm relatively new here as well and I can tell you that everyone is very helpful and friendly.

The images are a nice start. I think you have a natural eye for composition as evidenced by your 1st and last images, in particular. If you don't already have one, get a tripod and shoot during the magic hours (around sunrise and sunset). The pictures will automatically turn out great!...well, maybe I'm simplifying that a tad bit. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Mother GooseMother Goose Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Welcome, Mother Goose! I'm relatively new here as well and I can tell you that everyone is very helpful and friendly.

The images are a nice start. I think you have a natural eye for composition as evidenced by your 1st and last images, in particular. If you don't already have one, get a tripod and shoot during the magic hours (around sunrise and sunset). The pictures will automatically turn out great!...well, maybe I'm simplifying that a tad bit. :D
    Thanks! I'm planning on picking up a tripod this week for sure. So far, I've been leaning on walls, ground, sitting Indian style, trying to stay still. My girlfriend was making fun of me because of how I was squatting for some of the pictures. :cry
    Chadwick
    Nikon D40