Options

NHRA action from etown!

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited June 25, 2009 in Sports
Made the 5 mile drive over to Raceway park for my annual NHRA Supernationals trip. Man... if you have never been to one of these races... you HAVE to see it. I've seen these cars many times now, and its still unbelievable. Its SOOO ****ing loud!!! Anyways, I was loaded up with my 50D, 70-200/2.8L + 1.4x teleconverter. Figured I would post up some key shots.

563661798_U22NG-X2.jpg

563702469_zaVv3-X2.jpg

563729032_RpxYE-X2.jpg

563687445_xbNzb-X2.jpg

563710007_cz7PL-X2.jpg

The day ended with another near tragedy. Last year the DHL car went off the end of the track and and Scott Kalitta passed. This time a Top Alcohol car lost its chute at 260mph... probably hit the sand at 100mph. The car flipped, but the driver was ok. Everyone was freakin out for a moment cause of what happened the past season. Notice car upside down on the big screen! I was looking through my photos from 06 and there was YET ANOTHER car that went off the track that year! Nuts!

563753675_rEQuB-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Any NHRA fans... here's Scott's last pass last season, ever.

317192898_SXvfw-X2.jpg

So wierd to think about it... but he had seconds to live when this was taken.

317191906_AQvRo-X2-1.jpg

Look familiar? I drag race at this track... a mushroom cloud is the last thing you want to see. Scary!

317192312_oHxYb-X2.jpg
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Great shots. The last ones sent a chill down my spine, long time NHRA fan and ex drag racer here. Those shots gave me the feeling of being there. Great job.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Great shots! I especially like the one of Force on the pit bike. He must have won that round. I'm hoping to get to Maple Grove this fall when the PRO's are there. Do you have any shots from the pits? I find it interesting in the work that is done between rounds. Each crew member has a specific job and are specialized in what they do. It's amazing what they accomplish in the time they have between rounds! Anyway, if you have more, post them up! I'm interested in seeing more of your work, as I'm an avid drag racing fan!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    I have around 200 passes at Etown in my 92 mustang. After witnessing last years wreck... this one was pretty hard to watch. Seemed like everything was happening again. Its very disturbing for someone who races...especially after someone passed away last year.

John had just made a pass and was on his scooter trying to get back in time for Ashley's pass. He made it right in front of us, stopped, watched her win, cheered (pic) and took off.

You can check out http://photos.tallmanphoto.com and cruise around. I have a motorsports category with a few fun galleries, but my bread and butter is equestrian photography. I have pics from 2-3 years ago in the pits. I actually just stood in front of Ashley's car for 45 minutes watching them rebuild for her final run. Word of caution... when they start the engine BACK UP 20ft. Seriously. You do not want to catch a wiff of that exhaust.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Great shots. The last ones sent a chill down my spine, long time NHRA fan and ex drag racer here. Those shots gave me the feeling of being there. Great job.

Great series. I ran SS/CA years ago on the eastern circuit (many trips to Etown) and always cringe when I see the smoke at the end of the track.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    sirsloop wrote:
    John had just made a pass and was on his scooter trying to get back in time for Ashley's pass. He made it right in front of us, stopped, watched her win, cheered (pic) and took off.

You can check out http://photos.tallmanphoto.com and cruise around. I have a motorsports category with a few fun galleries, but my bread and butter is equestrian photography. I have pics from 2-3 years ago in the pits. I actually just stood in front of Ashley's car for 45 minutes watching them rebuild for her final run. Word of caution... when they start the engine BACK UP 20ft. Seriously. You do not want to catch a wiff of that exhaust.

The photo of John is excellent! I think that one would have been magizine worthy! Not that the other ones aren't either!

Not only the smell of the exhaust, but the feel you get when they rev it up! They claim that when they make a pass, you can feel the vibration in the ground for almost five miles. That has to be a pretty close assumption, as back in the 80's when I was shooting film, I was at Moroso Motor Sports Park in Florida, and was shooting an alcohol funny car, and the vibration I felt was like I was operating a jack hammer, and those cars don't make near the HP of the Nitro Funny Cars!

For you Motorsports enthusiasts, there is a York US30 Nostalgial Nationals at Beaver Springs Dragway on July 12th. They are going to have 2 of Jungle Jim's funny cars there, and they are going to match race. Jungle Pam will be there as well! For more info, go to http://www.beaversprings.com and click on the link for the schedule, and scroll down to July 12th. You can also get directions to the track from the website as well. If you plan to attend, I would get there early, as the place will be packed!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    You can feel two funny cars sitting in your car at a mile away... easy.

I would say that the alky FC's are 1/3rd as loud as the Nitro cars. Nitro's are farkin outrageous!
  • Options
    KipCoxKipCox Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Grew up around drag racing (my dad raced rails and FCs at Milan and Martin in MI, Indy, Bowling Green, etc) and saw racers like Conny Kalitta, Shirley Muldowney, Don Garlitts, the Snake and the Mongoose, Dale Pulde, etc. Loved every moment of pounding in the chest by the shockwaves off the engines of the Nitros.

Excellent pix. thumb.gif

R.I.P. Scott Kalitta.
  • Options
    ToyseToyse Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    The photo of John is excellent! I think that one would have been magizine worthy! Not that the other ones aren't either!

I was at Moroso Motor Sports Park in Florida, and was shooting an alcohol funny car, and the vibration I felt was like I was operating a jack hammer, and those cars don't make near the HP of the Nitro Funny Cars!

GaryB

Very Nice Photos..

Being on the wall with fuel cars is GREAT!!
    Yes it is Loud even with ear Protection.

-Toyse
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Getting a media pass for a NHRA event would be unbelievably awesome!! iloveyou.giflustmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    sirsloop wrote:
    Getting a media pass for a NHRA event would be unbelievably awesome!! iloveyou.giflustmwink.gif

Yes it would be awesome, but it is hard to get a media/press pass for the NHRA events. It helps to know someone on the inside. I also heard that you stand a better shot if you have your local paper request a pass for you in advance. I haven't tried it yet.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Also forgot, another thing that might help is some sort of ID identifying you as a photographer for some sort of magazine or newspaper. I got one of these when I enrolled in NYIP's Photography course. It basically says I'm an Official Photograher for NYI PhotoWorld Magazine. Hopefully, this will help open some doors in the future.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    NHRA is above all, a marketing machine. They jealously guard access and restrict all use of images based on media passes, which are only given to select agencies already have arrangements with NHRA.
  • Options
    ToyseToyse Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    NHRA is above all, a marketing machine. They jealously guard access and restrict all use of images based on media passes, which are only given to select agencies already have arrangements with NHRA.

Not Derail this thread anymore..

NHRA has really cut back the Number of Photographers allowed on the sidelines which is good for the fans because they can see the cars on the starting line not a bunch of people with Blue vests on. Even I get aggravated by those pesky photo guys on their Ladders..mwink.gif

-Toyse
  • Options
    Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    The photos are great. I especially like the one of Tony. My husband has gone to a couple of these and hangs out with Tony's crew (he's in the Army and works for the General that oversees the US Army car (?)). He did mention how loud it was. I should send my gear with him next time. They both loved this shot and my husband forwarded Tony the link.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    The photos are great. I especially like the one of Tony. My husband has gone to a couple of these and hangs out with Tony's crew (he's in the Army and works for the General that oversees the US Army car (?)). He did mention how loud it was. I should send my gear with him next time. They both loved this shot and my husband forwarded Tony the link.

Awesome!! thumb.gifthumb

Tony was getting ready for his semifinal pass in the staging lanes. I was walking over to the pit side of the track... saw him standing in the car about the strap in and had the camera ready. As soon as he saw me takin pics he looked right at me. Man... I got a killer shot of Warren Johnson getting in his car a year or two ago too.
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    NICE!!! I love some NHRA racing!!! Thanks for the post. That middle picture of SK's last run is incredible!!
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro