Macro equipment help

BenRGBenRG Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited June 16, 2009 in Holy Macro
So I'd like to shoot macro but lack the necessary equipment. I have four options that I know of, I can a) buy a macro lens b) get an extension tube c) get a close-up lens d) reverse macro (if I'm missing any let me know). I'm wondering which will the best option for the lowest price.

I'm using a Canon 20D with an 18-55mm lens (currently my only lens).

I found a close-up lens set on Amazon for pretty cheap (seems to be the least expensive option) but I doubt how well it will perform. I could probably afford a fairly good macro lens but I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    extension tubes are the cheapest way to start, using the lenses you have. So is a ring to reverse lenses, depending on what you have already. If you have to buy a lens just to reverse it, it's not worth the $$.
    //Leah
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    The best option would be to get a macro a lens for ease of use and image quality.
    The cheapest best quality option would be to get a set of extension tubes (preferably with electronic contacts - eg Kenko) - you would beed to make sure they are EF-S compatable ones.
    Add on dioptre sets can work well but I would stay away from the cheapo ones- they suffer from chromatic aberration. You can get fairly cheap ones made by Raynox or Opteka which are better multi element ones.

You can reverse the kit lens onto the camera body with a body reversing adapter and get pretty good macros- the disadvantage of this is you lose aperture control and have to set the aperture with the lens mounted normally first and then remove the lens whilst pressing the DOF preview button. This gives a rather dim viewfinder.

Brian V.
  • BenRGBenRG Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. If I'm going to go with an extension tube, which size should I be looking at? (to work best with my lens for macro shots that is)

Should I just get this set?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    BenRG wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. If I'm going to go with an extension tube, which size should I be looking at? (to work best with my lens for macro shots that is)

Should I just get this set?

Hi there Ben,

Yes the Kenkos are great, I have a set of those, and you will not regret buying them.

They are not only useful for Macro on smaller lenses, but you can use them on much larger lenses such as a 70mm-200mm.

You can use those Kenko's in any combination,
    on their own individually or in multiples :D

They will allow you to AUTO Focus to an extent, but you are better off Manually focusing as the AUTO Focus will being to hunt.
    You can then move to Manual and achieve focus.

Good luck Ben thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • the supervillainthe supervillain Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    that kenko set is probably the best bang for your buck, they will retain all the auto functions of your camera like lordv said.

what is your budget?, you can get pretty decently priced macro lens' from third party manufacturers like tamron or sigma

the tamron 90mm macro has received very good reviews and is pretty cheap (on amazon at least, $450 us)

the advantage here is quality, working distance (with the extension tubes you may have to get pretty close to the subject, while the 90mm macro will allow you to focus a bit farther away)

whatever you decide on, welcome to the wonderful of macro photography! its addicting :)
    --Craig...
    shoots things with a D80, an F1, and a Diana F+

My Gallery
    Sign the guestbook :)!!
  • BenRGBenRG Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    I think I'm going to go with the Kenko set, the macro lenses are a bit pricey. Thanks for the help everyone. :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 16, 2009
    Bum your dad's 70-200 and use that with the Kenko mwink.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Bum your dad's 70-200 and use that with the Kenko mwink.gif

Dad may be bumming the Kenko's right back! :D I've had my eye on those! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 16, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Dad may be bumming the Kenko's right back! :D I've had my eye on those! deal.gif
    As you should :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?