What do you do when the conditions are impossible?

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited June 16, 2009 in People
You keep shooting.
Glacier National Park, MT. A wedding in the rain.

565515849_eA8eh-M-1.jpg

565515774_Eimxf-M-1.jpg

565515920_XPH5B-M-1.jpg

565516256_3zZhq-M-1.jpg

565516019_LVxYn-M-1.jpg

565516172_CQR3N-M-1.jpg

And more here
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Very good. They capture a very different wedding - the disappointment, the discomfort, the determination to make the event 'theirs' and beautiful, to enjoy it no matter what. These pics will justify in the future, even help the shared life begun in these 'special' conditions.

It's all in the last 3 pics - and the last is my favorite. I've never seen so much pure relaxed fun in the faces of a wedding couple!:D
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • jvgphotojvgphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Great thread!
    What a wonderful idea for a thread! Truly shows how important it is to just stay the course and to, "keep shooting!" These are very special photos and capture a particular reality that is often missing from wedding photography.

Best,
    Jon
    "Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Totally!
    As they say, "bad weather = great images".
    The impossible conditions are also often unique, as in "once in a life time", conditions. You just need to be prepared (as in having a rainsleeve or at least a grocery bag) and ready (as in look for images, not for shelter). The wet clothing will dry up, but the situation may never present itself again.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    I guess once it rains on you, you stop trying to be perfect and just loosen up! It looks as though the rain forced everyone to remember why they were there.

Caroline
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Totally!
    As they say, "bad weather = great images".
    The impossible conditions are also often unique, as in "once in a life time", conditions. You just need to be prepared (as in having a rainsleeve or at least a grocery bag) and ready (as in look for images, not for shelter). The wet clothing will dry up, but the situation may never present itself again.

Absolutely - and shooting with bodies and lenses that are really weather sealed helped too. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 16, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Absolutely - and shooting with bodies and lenses that are really weather sealed helped too. mwink.gif

Your equipment is 'relevant' then, after all!mwink.gifwinkmwink.gifrofl

edited June 16, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    It kinda is, but there are cheaper solutions, too, as the aforementioned grocery bag. It's pretty much free, yet extremely versatile. Saved my butt (i.e. my camera+ lens) in Antelope canyon - VERRRRRRY dusty place. I remember Ed had to send his body to Canon after visiting it. My $0.00 grocery bag saved me the troubles, time and money.

And yes, having weather-sealed pro body would be nice, too:-) rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 16, 2009
    NeilL wrote:

Ouch!headscratch.gif It is, on occasion, but the paper bag, plastic bags, etc., would work...rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It kinda is, but there are cheaper solutions, too, as the aforementioned grocery bag. It's pretty much free, yet extremely versatile. Saved my butt (i.e. my camera+ lens) in Antelope canyon - VERRRRRRY dusty place. I remember Ed had to send his body to Canon after visiting it. My $0.00 grocery bag saved me the troubles, time and money.

And yes, having weather-sealed pro body would be nice, too:-) rolleyes1.gif

Quite so, Nik. Something to learn from, and save money and trouble, too!thumb.gif

But I was referring to something in bdcolen's public profile...

edited June 16, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Ouch!headscratch.gif It is, on occasion, but the paper bag, plastic bags, etc., would work...rolleyes1.gif

Don't worry, we are friends here.

On the other hand, I am cringing in expectation of your touché!eek7.gifrofl

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 16, 2009
    The show must go on. A lot of newcomers may not have seen a classic example from Shay Stephens, a former Dgrin AIR and all around good guy. Check it out, here. The images are rather small, but you get the idea.
    edited June 16, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    The show must go on. A lot of newcomers may not have seen a classic example from Shay Stephens, a former Dgrin AIR and all around good guy. Check it out, here. The images are rather small, but you get the idea.

Thanks for showing this, Richard - terrific series!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 16, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Quite so, Nik. Something to learn from, and save money and trouble, too!thumb.gif

But I was referring to something in bdcolen's public profile...

Indeed. I believe I said something snarky about equipment not mattering, rather than list my equipment. I wrote that because I don't have any interest in 'mine's longer,' or wider, than yours debates and discussions. Endless Nikon v. Canon threads make me want to die. And people who think that owning Leicas makes them great photographers...well...

The best, best camera and set of lens you can own is that camera and lens combination that allows YOU to do your best work. Period. A camera is to a photographer as a hammer is to a carpenter. It's certainly a vital piece of equipment, but how many carpenters do any of us know who waste their time debating the merits of a Craftsman 16 ouncer v a Stanley 20 ounce hammer. For that matter, how many painters sit around arguing about the merits of various brushes?

For the record, at various times I have been a Nikon guy, a Canon guy, a Leica guy, a Rollei guy, a Pentax guy - and an Olympus guy. And that's film cameras. My last film outfit consisted of Nikon F100s and Leica Ms. Digitally, I shoot with Olympus gear - I love the glass, and I also love the look of the images. I don't particularly like the ultra smooth Canon look. But that is my opinion, my bias, and it should only be meaningful to me.

The bottom line, if I may quote Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young..."Love the one your with." rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 16, 2009
    Hear, Hear!!

I'll drink to that!thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 16, 2009
    pathfinder wrote: