Another strange bug

blacksmithblacksmith Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
edited June 18, 2009 in Holy Macro
Another strange bug sitting and relax. I've tried to shoot lots of it's side. Your C&C are welcome.

3634196917_ea40cb181e_o.jpg

3635007424_2db03310ae_o.jpg

3635007780_902df60c2d_o.jpg

3635008112_e134bfbaee_o.jpg

5. Weapon

3634198411_ff8c9a78cb_o.jpg

3635008780_64a6791030_o.jpg

Cheers!

Comments

• GitzoGitzo Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    What the heck is it? Really cool shots btw.
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Cool thorn bug. I really like #6. Your profile says you're in Vietnam -- I assume that's where you found it? It doesn't look much like the thorn bugs in my North America field guides.

I think I would have two minor suggestions for C&C. The smaller of the two is that I'd have liked to see the first shot just a little bit more to the left, so that the tip of the spine is in the frame.

The other minor detail is that there's some distracting specular highlights in places. #3 is where it's most obvious. I've been wrestling with the same problem, especially with animals like this that have really reflective but irregular textures. Diffusing the light will help with that, although for the most part it does already look pretty soft.
  • blacksmithblacksmith Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    mehampson wrote:
    Cool thorn bug. I really like #6. Your profile says you're in Vietnam -- I assume that's where you found it? It doesn't look much like the thorn bugs in my North America field guides.

I think I would have two minor suggestions for C&C. The smaller of the two is that I'd have liked to see the first shot just a little bit more to the left, so that the tip of the spine is in the frame.

The other minor detail is that there's some distracting specular highlights in places. #3 is where it's most obvious. I've been wrestling with the same problem, especially with animals like this that have really reflective but irregular textures. Diffusing the light will help with that, although for the most part it does already look pretty soft.

Thank you very much for your kind comment, Mehampson! Yes, I'm Vietnamese where I can find many strange bugs.

Regarding to the highlight issue is that the bug is extremely small. The #3 was shot as 5X with MPE 65 and double diffuser on Canon twinlight, maybe the Camera spot metering can not see the "white fur" of that bug.

Thanks again!
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    That is truly one ugly looking bug. Seriously cool shots though thumb.gif
    Steve

Website
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Interesting find and good shots - a tree hopper thorn bug
    Brian V.
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    blacksmith wrote:
    Thank you very much for your kind comment, Mehampson! Yes, I'm Vietnamese where I can find many strange bugs.

Regarding to the highlight issue is that the bug is extremely small. The #3 was shot as 5X with MPE 65 and double diffuser on Canon twinlight, maybe the Camera spot metering can not see the "white fur" of that bug.

Thanks again!

Oh, no kidding? That makes it an even neater set. For some reason my brain saw it as a huge thorn bug around 1:1. Tricks of scale :)