Best I could get with what I have :(

00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
edited June 18, 2009 in Holy Macro
was rather disappointed with the "macro" function on my sig 70-300. this is the best i could muster a few min ago.
DSC_9943.jpg

couple of questions, would i benefit (or rather would they work) if I was to buy some ext tubes for this lens? or would i be better off just waiting and finding a good deal on a real macro lens?

devin
Devin

Comments

• mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Well, first off, it's a neat shot. Slightly shaky on the Motorola logo but the animal itself looks great.

I can't comment on extension tubes or reversal rings, since I've never used either, but for convenience and ease of use a dedicated macro lens will beat them. I think there are two main things that would influence your decision: Which setup you think you'll be most inclined to use, and if there are any macro lenses with a focal range you would use out of at non-macro distances. If you're planning on getting, say, a 100mm lens anyway, you may as well get a 100mm Macro and kill two birds with one pricey stone. Or you may decide that there's something about extension tubes that you just wouldn't be happy about using, in which case there's no point dropping money on an accessory you'll never take out. But plenty of people use them and get great results.
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    hi, thanks for the reply.. I have been eyeballing a 90 sig macro.. i think i'll just save my dollars for that instead of the tubes. I ran outside a second ago and swapped over to my 50 / 1.8 and i like the results much better. here are a couple i just took, i did some post to one of them (20 seconds worth).

DSC_9976-1.jpg

DSC_9964.jpg
    Devin
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Nice. Yeah, I opted to go straight to a dedicated macro (100mm Canon) and have been perfectly happy with my decision. You could always pick up some of the cheap $15 tubes from eBay in the meantime, as long as you don't mind having to set to preset the aperture manually -- which is possible with Canon, don't know about Nikon or other systems.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited June 17, 2009
    cute bug!
    having used tubes on my 70-300 zoom the pic quality is nowhere near that of macro lens. especially with more than 1 tube on.
    tubes would be good on your 50mm though!
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
    edited June 17, 2009
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    cute bug!
    having used tubes on my 70-300 zoom the pic quality is nowhere near that of macro lens. especially with more than 1 tube on.
    tubes would be good on your 50mm though!
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

hmm.. thanks for that. might give that a shot on the 50.. as it's cheap enough until i can get a decent lens.
    Devin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Not bad at all - Have the same lens and found macro very difficult to do with it - only gives 0.5:1 but at the long end of the zoom making it difficult to handle. As sugeested above a set of Kenko extension tubes on your 50mm lens will give higher magnification, better IQ and be easier to handle.
    Brian V.
    edited June 18, 2009
    Thanks Brian, I think i'll look on ebay today and see what I can find :D
    Devin