Evil Eye

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited June 17, 2009 in People
Photographed at the Volusia County Fair. C&C appreciated.

472101746_qiYuo-L.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    maybe crop off that right side so it's a tighter shot of just him?
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Just waiting for BD to chime in here...

I like the grainy feel Tony and DOF.

Compositionally though, I don't really understand this image. Doesn't say much to me, no context. What's the purpose of this shot? ne_nau.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Just waiting for BD to chime in here...

I like the grainy feel Tony and DOF.

Compositionally though, I don't really understand this image. Doesn't say much to me, no context. What's the purpose of this shot? ne_nau.gif

Interesting question, and I don't know quite what to answer. I'm not sure there's a real purpose to street photography other than just capturing interesting faces/people. Isn't the capture of what we find to be interesting purpose enough?

Here's another shot that same day.

2008-fair-0087.jpg

And one shot another time, but just another photo of someone with an interesting look. In this case, one of a series of interesting people at a biker bar:

475703785_R7H5n-L.jpg
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Thanks for sharing more of your street pics. Biker really caught my attention!:D

I guess I'm just not too familiar and/or interested (well, at least at this moment rolleyes1.gif ) in street photog, just "don't get it" if you will.

Keep posting more pics.....maybe you'll change my mind thumb.gif .
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Photographed at the Volusia County Fair. C&C appreciated.

472101746_qiYuo-L.jpg

When I look at this I wonder what happened to him, it looks like he has had reconstructive surgery, poor guy. Now THAT BIKER, holy cow, that is some face!! Some expression! He looks like a poster child for...----
    ( fill in the blank) maybe the scariest natural expression!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Thanks for sharing more of your street pics. Biker really caught my attention!:D

I guess I'm just not too familiar and/or interested (well, at least at this moment rolleyes1.gif ) in street photog, just "don't get it" if you will.

Keep posting more pics.....maybe you'll change my mind thumb.gif .

Actually, I understand your position quite well. There are certain types of photography that really don't interest me. I fully recognize the skill involved in taking those photographs, but the photo itself is "just another (fill in the blank)".

I don't do street photography exclusively (far from it), but every time I go out with a camera I have that in mind. A big part of the challenge is finding something interesting in the ordinary. We pass people - strangers - every day and often fail to notice them. When we look at them as subjects, though, we notice them. Even when I come home without a keeper shot, I feel I've been more aware of, and part of, my surroundings.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 17, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    When I look at this I wonder what happened to him, it looks like he has had reconstructive surgery, poor guy. Now THAT BIKER, holy cow, that is some face!! Some expression! He looks like a poster child for...----
    ( fill in the blank) maybe the scariest natural expression!!

I agree, it looks like he had a major lower lid resection, probably for a skin cancer of the lower lid or cheek. The reconstruction looks like the skin graft was not large enough, or limited by the extent of the resection. It might have had radiation therapy post surgically.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin