Green metallic bee

mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited June 18, 2009 in Holy Macro
565771425_it7Qr-L.jpg

A green metallic bee (pretty sure it's Agapostemon virescens) cleaning up after collecting pollen from a flower. C&C is always welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 17, 2009
    A green bee. I've never seen one of those before. Cool!

Nice shot too. Do you stack for focus?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited June 17, 2009
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Thanks for your comments!

It was actually new to me, too, though they're apparently fairly common around here. They're also called sweat bees because they're attracted to human sweat, but I think that's a catch-all term for unrelated bees that show that behavior. This kind, a halictid bee, can also be metallic blue or entirely green depending on the species.

I don't focus stack, mostly to keep my post-processing down to a minimum.
    My basic technique is to shoot at f/11-14 at 1/160-1/250*, ISO 250, with a Vivitar 285HV plus diffuser at 1/16th, bracket-mounted next to the lens. With these settings I get good DOF, light, and exposure, a fast flash pulse duration to freeze the motion, and minimal noise; the downside is that it's very hard to handhold with the Vivitar so far front. The DOF is also helped by shooting the bee along the side -- her eye and most of her flank are all on the same plane.

*Actually this shot was f/13 at 1/100, to get more ambient exposure, but 1/100 was too slow in this sunlight -- I had to toss a lot of shots from this outing because of visible camera shake.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Beautiful shot of a beautiful bee
    Brian v.
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Thanks, Brian.

Here's two more I just got around to processing:

566810019_z5AM4-M-1.jpg

566812125_9X7Vz-M-1.jpg