Dropped our Canon Powershot

capitoljayhawkcapitoljayhawk Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited June 17, 2009 in Cameras
So, on our way into a concert last night, we dropped our Canon Powershot. :cry We normally shoot DSLRs, but carry this little camera along to catch moments when we don't have our full-sized cameras.

We got the Powershot less than a year ago, for $200-$300.

When it hit the ground, the LCD broke. Everything is totally white on the LCD, and you can see two fracture lines in it.

Advice?

I'm thinking I just need to replace it, unfortunately. But wanted to see if anyone thought we should try anything else, like a repair.

http://www.gaslightphoto.com

Beginning smugmugger.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 17, 2009
    Since it hit with enough force to damage the LCD (unless it only hit the LCD), there is a good chance there is other damage as well.

Check to see if it is covered either by a warranty or by insurance. If it's not covered, or if the coverage isn't enough of the cost, then you should just replace the camera.

When my son broke his Fuji F40fd I sent it to Fuji even though it was beyond the warranty. They did allow him to purchase a refurbished unit, same model, for 1/2 the cost of the original.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Advice?
    Canon Loyalty program?

Give them a call and see what they offer...
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    You didn't happen to purchase it with some sort of protection plan did you? We purchased our Olympus P&S from Best Buy with the extended coverage (includes accidents thankfully) and it was dropped one night at a bar. They repaired it no questions asked, but it actually doesn't work that well after the repair. So they are going to replace it now once again for no charge.

I try to purchase most of my electronics like this from Best Buy when I can simply because of the no-brainer coverage.

Good luck!
  • capitoljayhawkcapitoljayhawk Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Thanks for all your responses. I'll definitely try that loyalty program. (I didn't have the Best Buy coverage because I figured we'd never drop the camera . . . )

http://www.gaslightphoto.com

Beginning smugmugger.