Options

Consideration while quoting.

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited June 26, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I am working on a quote for the 2009 Ontario provincial skydiving championships. Wondering what things to consider while doing the quote.
I know the event will be two days covering an entire weekend. I would stay on site for the night to enjoy the festivities as much as to enjoy them as to document them. Also last year the provincials lost money, and will likely lose money again this year.
I plan on giving them two quotes. One quote is a pure for profit business venture. This quote will also help determine event photography quotes that give me no additional benefits.
The second quote will be virtually volunteer for the day, enough money to cover most of my expenses. In return for this the drop zone will give me exclusive rights for photographing landings and selling landings. Those pictures can be worth decent money, $20/CD with 2-3 photos and no post processing. All done on site. No promises with that though.

They would also like to use the photographs from the first day as awards on the second day. I am waffling with the idea of getting on site printing set up so I can offer custom awards instead of 50 copies of the same photo with different text on them.

So far I have for expenses:
  • Travel @ $0.40/km
  • Camera depreciation @ $0.05/picture (estimate 5000 photos)
  • Time @ $50/hr for 18 hours (I know lowballing the hours but a lot of the weekend will be laid back)
  • Assistant @ $20/hr (but only for the first quote)
  • On site viewing station @$50/day
  • On site printing
  • Online gallery $20

The onsite printing would be an option. The award pictures are not. So options would be: The large difference is because the prints would cost more, I would have to travel to a print lab, I would have to wait for the prints, then drive back. of course during all this time I would nto be taking pictures that I could potentially sell.
The on site print option also allows for better awards. Actual custom awards with the recipients in the award, instead of a generic picture.

Of course during all this I would be able to sell images to the actual participants as well. As a nice gesture i would likely donate 15% or so of sales profits back to the drop zone.

Does this list look reasonable? The end result is looking huge. With just the above I am looking around $3000 for quote 1, and $500 for quote 2 (quote 2 being super cheap for student landing picture rights)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Really could use some help, or at least comments on this. been dragging this mainly because I am unsure and it is my first quote.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Really could use some help, or at least comments on this. been dragging this mainly because I am unsure and it is my first quote.

Just a wee bit impatient are we????:D:D:D

Personally I think your difference between quote1 and 2 is way to large........also why is your frames costing more than yourphotos for such an event.......use inexpensive frames.....

If Q1 is actually accurate....then bump Q2 to $1K.....it is still 2K under the other......if they opt for off site printing, send an assistant or girlfriend or wife or significant other that has nothing better to do while your working:D:Drolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Sorry, ya I am impatient :) Been putting this off for too long. Struggling with the business end of this a little...

Regarding frames...

I still have to call around more for pricing on frames. So far cheapest is around $20. Problem is not in finding cheaper frames, but getting the quantity needed.

I also agree that the difference is too large. This afternoon I was also thinking about the student landing pictures, if I get that deal. One issue with that is distance involved. I figure I would need to sell about 3 CDs a weekend to just cover gas cost. So maybe student shots might be worth it after all....

Giving me lots to think about. Thanks Art.

So is that meaning you are thinking the breakdown looks reasonable? Am I missing obvious things?
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    What about your other expenses like accommodations, meals, misc.? They are all a part of your business cost.

I just did an event last week-end and literally lost my shirt. I am very seriously considering never doing another horse show - except the ones I'm already committed to - because the print and even CD sales truly suck. It's one of those situations where, if you don't get the sale immediately on site, it's never going to happen - or at least rarely.

Be sure of your business model first.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    All accomodations and food is included on site. Wold have been simple camping though.

Either way moot point now. Quote I sent them was around $2000 for my time with a second for Friday night to Sunday evening.

An addition 1500-2500 for prints and frames depending on chosen options. Collages, custom prints done on site, etc....

Next step for me with this Drop Zone is actually discussions wit the owner about shooting landing pictures for students. If I was making a regular income from the site, than events like this I could do for much less. Of course with the travel I would need a fairly high flow of student jumpers. Regulars being regulars in any sport like this already have dozens of snapshots, want everything for free, and spend all their money on the sport anyways....

So we will see. I still have other options I need to look into.