#28 possible entry-comments please!

RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited June 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok so its been a while but thought I would jump in again...

comments please! Lighting, concept, execution (of the entry, Not Me!:D)

thanks in advance..

circle-square-1-web.jpg

Jeff
http://roadrunes.com
"It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    It's a great concept and very well executed. thumb.gif

Two nits:

*It seems a little soft.

*The lighting is slightly uneven. I'd prefer either perfectly even or perfectly uneven lighting. mildly uneven just looks off.

My .02, YMMV, etc.
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif with Mark.

This is a neat idea, but what might it more interesting would be to add some chess pieces, something that would make this look less like a picture of a wall hanging or parquet floor.

Lots of potential here.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    I think this photo would be better with a solid black background OR a wood background if you chose to go with this.. That green cloth thing is just too busy and the shapes clash and compete too much with the wood patterns. Do you have a nice wood floor you can put it on? headscratch.gif

Kat
  • sixdaemonbagsixdaemonbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I think this photo would be better with a solid black background OR a wood background if you chose to go with this.. That green cloth thing is just too busy and the shapes clash and compete too much with the wood patterns. Do you have a nice wood floor you can put it on? headscratch.gif

Kat

X2.

I'd go with a couple or 3 backgammon pieces if you have them, to add some more circles and a little bit of visual interest.
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    thanks all, so here's attempt number 2 taking in the thoughts expressed..I had thought of adding some chess pieces myself as they are rather unique, my Mom had them made from molds she found years ago when we lived in Europe..

circle-square-2-1-web.jpg

Jeff
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
    edited June 18, 2009
    Hi Jeff.. That looks much better with that background.. I would leave the corners.

I like the tight crop a lot........., but you axed the tips of the corners.. I would back off of that just a tad, not too much, just a little and give us the corners back and a little more of the black circle so it looks complete... and give it a sharpen up... That's my advice..

Looking good...thumb.gif

and great entry with both the squares and the circles too..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 18, 2009
    Hi Jeff.. That looks much better with that background.. I would leave the corners.

I like the tight crop a lot........., but you axed the tips of the corners.. I would back off of that just a tad, not too much, just a little and give us the corners back and a little more of the black circle so it looks complete... and give it a sharpen up... That's my advice..

Looking good...thumb.gif

and great entry with both the squares and the circles too..thumb.gif

Kat
    Tanks! But boy, making circular circles in photoshop with the ellipse tool is tough! Have to practice more with the distort option once I get it near to round. I wasn't sure about the wood background at first (too much wood grain?) but i like it now. I also think it looks better with it running at the same angle as the board rather than my first attempt with the wood floor where I had it running corner to corner i.e. horizontal.

Jeff
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    RocketMan wrote:
    Tanks! But boy, making circular circles in photoshop with the ellipse tool is tough! Have to practice more with the distort option once I get it near to round. I wasn't sure about the wood background at first (too much wood grain?) but i like it now. I also think it looks better with it running at the same angle as the board rather than my first attempt with the wood floor where I had it running corner to corner i.e. horizontal.

Jeff

hold the shift while dragging ...
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 18, 2009
    Well... I like the wood grain, but in some ways you could say it is a little much.. The wood grain definitely works better than the original background..

I would say if you don't like the wood,, try another background.. The problem is that picking a background for this one is "really" tough.. because of the wood "frame" if you use black or any other dark color, your frame is going to blend in too much.. so I think wood is the best choice here, but maybe someone else can chime in with an idea.. I can't visualize a better backing at the moment..

As far as the ellipse tool.. Just start in the upper left corner and pull straight down and then straight over to the right and it should work..

It is looking good, but if you have doubts.. try shooting some other stuff too..
    There is still plenty of time...thumb.gif

Kat
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I like the wood also.

I wonder how it would look as a square image without the circle border...?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited June 18, 2009
    hold the shift while dragging ...
    thanks, that helps.
    I was just thinking it would be nice if some tools worked more like Vector drawing tools, i.e. defining shapes with center-point and radius, angles and lengths, etc. Guess I'm more accustomed to CADD graphics work from my years as a CADD op before moving more into the IT side of things!

again appreciate all the comments, I think I'll finish up wit version three then take a break, but I like this theme; then again, what do I know?! Ha Ha!

Jeff
    edited June 18, 2009
    Version 3, with corners recovered...i think I'm about done with this theme...though if I don't find anything else I may try it without the outer circle just for (d)grins :lol

circle-square-3-1-web.jpg

Perhaps I'll find some nice circles and/or squares in nature while I'm out riding/relaxing this weekend in West By-God Virginny....

Jeff
    edited June 19, 2009
    Well it looks better now, so you came a long way Jeff..

Good luck on the nature shoot ; look forward to seeing what you bring back, that is some pretty country there in Virginia..thumb.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    RocketMan wrote:
    Version 3, with corners recovered...i think I'm about done with this theme...though if I don't find anything else I may try it without the outer circle just for (d)grins :lol

circle-square-3-1-web.jpg

Perhaps I'll find some nice circles and/or squares in nature while I'm out riding/relaxing this weekend in West By-God Virginny....

Jeff

I really like this concept my one area of concern is the center circle, the reason for this is how flat it looks, it has the look of the image pasted over, this happens to a lesser extent on the board to the background but it is there.

I think a very slight drop shadow just to give the hint of some depth to the center section would help, the lighting of the board does complicate this though due to its dual light sorce.