Sleeping Statue

amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited June 19, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
011.jpg

Hey guys. This is my first post of an actual image.

I took this picture last night on campus. Its actually the base to a statue, but I thought it was impressive enough to stand alone. What do you think?

C&C not only welcome, but gladly accepted.

/edit: Resized, so all is well!
ANTHONY :thumb
[AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

Comments

• Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    I really like the composition and lighting. At first I thought the background was a bit to busy but the more I look at it the more I like the contrast between the the hard lines of the housing and the soft lines of the statue.
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, shades. I see what you're saying about the busy background, and I would have avoided that if at all possible, but I'm quite fond of this photo despite.
    [AMG]photos

• JeffCanonJeffCanon Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    for me the light in the right side background area is distracting, IMO it's draws the eyes in some
  • ACTUALITEASEACTUALITEASE Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2009
    Nice Accomplishment
    I like your picture. I enjoy how the depth is split into three distinct levels. The face of the statue of course is in the foreground and dark which contrasts the middleground which consists of the three bright lights at the bottom of the face, in the far background in the middle and by the tree. I particularly liked how my eye went from the foreground to the far background like immediately (at warp speed...lol) and then I discovered the background from med background left to right in the other lights present which is another way to see the pic... it's like you offer two exits both of which effect the photo as a whole... It's a very dynamic effect and i found myself able to play in the image for sometime and enjoyed every minute of it... Thanks for the ride.
    edited June 18, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I understand what you're saying JeffCanon. I was shooting for what it gave ACTUALITEASE, but its all how you see it. I did a little something that will hopefully help it. The face itself is quite a bit dark in comparison, so I did some dodging and burning on it and brought it out more. I think this helped it significantly.

Let's take a look, and I hope to hear what ya'll think.

011_2.jpg
    [AMG]photos

edited June 18, 2009
    a bit of clonning will take that light behind the tree out
    edited June 18, 2009
    Hm. I'll give that a go and post another version as soon as I get a chance.

Did you like my first change?
    [AMG]photos

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    I think the second image is an improvement over the first. However I do find the bright lights in the background distracting. Maybe a mask around the statue then darken that background would really make it a winner. Something like this.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited June 19, 2009
    I like the edits to the face of the statue IMO they help, also I like the light running from the statue face to the vanishing point and down, the light shinning down looks like breath coming from the lips of the statue
    If you want limit the edits, think about cropping maybe square or 4x5