A few black & whites (C&C please)

imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited June 22, 2009 in People
Here are a couple I took last weekend. I'm looking for any & all comments & criticisms

#1--Any ideas on how to "brighten" her eyes??
566493151_VHkHR-M.jpg

#2---Thoughts on how to make the top of her hair not look so blown??
566488027_35GjY-M.jpg

IMG_2962bw.jpg

IMG_2931bwcrsm.jpg

IMG_2932bwcrsm.jpg

IMG_2934bwcrsm.jpg

#7---I'd really like to figure out how to lighten her left eye area---any thoughts??
IMG_2937bwcrsm.jpg

#8---Do you think I should clean up the stray hairs on her forehead? I'm debating because I think they lend to "feel" of the photo... comments??
IMG_2942bwcrsm.jpg
Blessings,
Marjohn

Images of Him Photography

Comments

• Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Her eyes are pretty dark. I "stole" a copy of that photo to try some things, but I don't think I achieved the results wanted. You could try what I did and see if you like it. It basically makes the whites of her eyes brighter.

Assuming you have Photoshop...

Duplicate the layer, change the blend mode to Screen. Option (PC = Alt) click on the layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers panel. Select the layer mask, and have a small soft brush, paint over the eyes with white. it will look ridiculously bright but do not worry, you'll fix that by adjusting the opacity of the layer. I found that it looked decent at around 40% Opacity, but if you find something you like more go for it. Click the hide layers eye ball to see the original and the new one and compare!

I do that with all of my portraits, makes the eyes pop out more which is a MUST with people pictures.

For the second old lady, same thing except for the layer blend mode use multiply. and again adjust the opacity to how you like it.

The little girl do the same thing for the eye as done with the first woman..

And the stray hair, its a tad distracting to me, so I would clone it out. But if you think it adds to the picture keep it.

The whole series looks excellent! Love the B&W
    Jer
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    All nice, but #1 and # 6 really stand out.thumb.gifthumb.gif

I might just crop a smidge off the left of #1 to remove the black area in the background.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Jeremy---thanks for the feedback. I do have Photoshop (although fairly new to using it and definitely still learning). I will try what you have suggested and re-post! Look forward to your thoughts after my attempt.

Whiterice---thank you also... I'll work on the cropping as well and get those re-posted, too! Again, thank you.
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Nice captures. #2 is OOF not much you can do, even if you fix the hair.
    edited June 20, 2009
    B&W photos--made changes as suggested!!
    Jeremy---here are a few of the photos with the changes you suggested. I'm interested in your critique of the changes... thanks again for your assistance!

I like this better!
    568850383_TDLfs-M.jpg

Don't know if this is too much---thoughts??
    568850400_CV7ee-M.jpg

Still not pleased with the darkness of her left side
    568850445_zrxCJ-M.jpg

Didn't have time to clone her hair, but will get that done as soon as I can and re-post
    568850459_FvYGQ-M.jpg

GP---WOW! Never even realized it was OOF until you said so... even went back and studied the color photo and you're SOOOO right---guess I need to visit my ophthalmologist soon!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

edited June 21, 2009
    Hey, sorry, I'm on the road right now, so Internet connections are very rare! I like how you processed all of them except the bottom one. Her eyes are a little too much. Tone it down a tad, and get rid of the stray hair and she's perfect!thumb.gif

I tried to work on the other girl with the dark eye, and had no luck ne_nau.gif ... I guess my "expertise" ends there. I know you don't really like how dark her left eye is, but it actually kinda adds to the photo. Makes it look more dramatic. mwink.gif
    Jer
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hey, sorry, I'm on the road right now, so Internet connections are very rare! I like how you processed all of them except the bottom one. Her eyes are a little too much. Tone it down a tad, and get rid of the stray hair and she's perfect!thumb.gif

I tried to work on the other girl with the dark eye, and had no luck ne_nau.gif ... I guess my "expertise" ends there. I know you don't really like how dark her left eye is, but it actually kinda adds to the photo. Makes it look more dramatic. mwink.gif

Jeremy---thank you so much for the comments and assistance. I will be working on the little girl(s) a bit more this week and will post them when I'm finished. I love the learning!!!

Thanks again!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

edited June 22, 2009
    Jeremy---thank you so much for the comments and assistance. I will be working on the little girl(s) a bit more this week and will post them when I'm finished. I love the learning!!!

Thanks again!

No problem. I'm no expert but I try to help out as much as I can.
    Jer