Newbie Here

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited June 17, 2009 in Cameras
I'm a frustrated professional photographer. :) Took classes years ago, back when there was no such thing as a "digital" camera, have used P&S's for the last few years (for simplicity's sake) and recently decided to get back to the "glass" seriously and upgrade.
So as not to get ahead of myself, I bought an entry-level DSLR and a really nice lens. I would love to hear opinions and/or see some shots from pros with this relative combo so I'll have something to compare my work to, when I really get going with this. My goal is to (reach for the stars) actually take a stab at doing this professionally someday as it's in my heart and something I truly love to do. I just want to get really GOOD at it! I'm reading everything I can get my hands on. So, on that note, here's the gear I bought:
Canon EOS Rebel XS (Comes with a Tamron kit lens), Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Any advice, opinions, pics to share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
~C :bow

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 17, 2009
    GoofBckt, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Just stick around an read everything you can in the DGrin forums, try some things, and then ask questions as you come across things you struggle with.

In particular, the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L USM is a pro grade lens and should serve you well in may endeavors.

Light is the first thing I would consider for professional results. Either find the light you need with ambient alone (difficult to do consistantly), or "create" the light you need for the task with reflectors, flashes and modifiers.

After you find an appropriate subject or scene, the lighting is more important than lenses or cameras.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Thank you so much for that. Great advice. :D

ziggy53 wrote:
    GoofBckt, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Just stick around an read everything you can in the DGrin forums, try some things, and then ask questions as you come across things you struggle with.

In particular, the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L USM is a pro grade lens and should serve you well in may endeavors.

Light is the first thing I would consider for professional results. Either find the light you need with ambient alone (difficult to do consistantly), or "create" the light you need for the task with reflectors, flashes and modifiers.

After you find an appropriate subject or scene, the lighting is more important than lenses or cameras.