Got few more portraits to share color or B/W?

blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited June 20, 2009 in People
567128702_fq9Ho-XL.jpg

567159600_ijMax-XL.jpg

567128574_5jMfm-XL.jpg

567128575_bVrLd-XL.jpg
5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6

Comments

• CamAaronCamAaron Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2009
    Here I like the b/w best. Can't really explain why, the b/w just have a more natural and more elegant touch. However, nice pics of a beautiful girl, good job!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    First, let me say that I usually have a very strong preference for B/W over color. I offer that by way of adding grunt to my preference for #1 in the color version. For me, there's something lost in the B/W that is there in spades in the color - maybe it's the warmth of the expression?ne_nau.gif Whatever it is, it's not there in the B/W.

For #2, hands down - the B/W FTW!

These are both very very good. I think I might have used some light to seperate her hair from the background (especially in the first one), but these stand quite well just as they are. Nice work! thumb.gif
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    For me, the black and white brings emotion to the photo. Good shots!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    First, let me say that I usually have a very strong preference for B/W over color. I offer that by way of adding grunt to my preference for #1 in the color version. For me, there's something lost in the B/W that is there in spades in the color - maybe it's the warmth of the expression?ne_nau.gif Whatever it is, it's not there in the B/W.

These are both very very good. I think I might have used some light to seperate her hair from the background (especially in the first one), but these stand quite well just as they are. Nice work! thumb.gif

Thanks Scott we was going for a one light setup or I would have used a hair light
    these are pictures from Nik's workshop
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Good stuff, Brian! thumb.gif
    #2 "bw" looks sepia-ish and a bit muddy to me.
    I'm really torn between 3 & 4, but I'll prolly stick with BW.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 18, 2009
    ...I think I might have used some light to seperate her hair from the background (especially in the first one), but these stand quite well just as they are. Nice work! thumb.gif
    As Brian already mentioned, these were from "One Light Only" part. And since we were limited in time we skipped the whole "hair-light" exercise (which both Leah and Brian didn't seem to have any problem with) and jumped to backlit and high key...ne_nau.gif
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I like 3 and 4 the best. I'm not sure, however, what you did to her teeth, the edges of them are a lot whiter then the rest. headscratch.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited June 18, 2009
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I like 3 and 4 the best. I'm not sure, however, what you did to her teeth, the edges of them are a lot whiter then the rest. headscratch.gif
    Unless I'm gravely mistaken, that's PPv9 in action mwink.gif
    edited June 18, 2009
    Nick, please pardon my ignorance, but what is PPv9? headscratch.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited June 19, 2009
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Nick, please pardon my ignorance, but what is PPv9? headscratch.gif
    Portrait Professional, version 9. Latest. Pretty cool thing for a quick fix. I had v6. Brian got v9, showed me during the workshop - and next thing I know I'm upgrading:-)
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Whatever it is, it looks terrible on the teeth. I assumed it was halos from oversharpening, but it needs to be fixed in any case. Otherwise these are gorgeous shots. I greatly prefer the color versions as well.
  • OhadOhad Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2009

15524779-Ti.gif
    Somehow the first one looks better in color and B&W for the second picture.
    Ohad M. Somjen
    http://ohad.smugmug.com

My Equipment:
    * Nikon D200 + Grip
    * Nikon 12-24mm f/4 AF-S DX, 50mm f/1.4 AF D
    * Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8D VR G-AFS ED-IF
    * 190XPROB Manfrotto Tripod & Cullmann 40300 Magnesit 3-Way Head Large
    * I use DXO Optics Pro and Film Pack for all processing, no CS involved!
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Ohad wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Somehow the first one looks better in color and B&W for the second picture.

Ditto..... But will also confess, the teeth do need some addressing.
    Very NICE work! Its looking like a lot of good shtuff came out of that workshop...

Damed Homeland Security! umph.gif
    edited June 19, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Portrait Professional, version 9. Latest. Pretty cool thing for a quick fix. I had v6. Brian got v9, showed me during the workshop - and next thing I know I'm upgrading:-)

I see, i tried that program but i couldn't figure it out. I guess i'm somewhat reactant to learns something new. ne_nau.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited June 19, 2009
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I see, i tried that program but i couldn't figure it out. I guess i'm somewhat reactant to learns something new. ne_nau.gif
    Try v9 (30day trial), it's even simpler than prior versions. They literally TELL you what to do. deal.gif Just don't go overboard with sliders...mwink.gif
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Thanks for all the in put. I agree, I like the first one in color and the second in B/W and I fixed the teeth thanks for pointing that out did not notice it. I do use ppv9 but only as a starting point I do a lot of other thing after like make up, contouring,lips