DSS #28 is this worth an entry

mrleomrleo Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited June 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
What do you guys and gals think? Is this worth an entry into the challenge. This will be my first entry. Thanks for any tips to be a better photographer.

567835447_EUFMF-M.jpg

Thanks again.

Comments

• AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    It needs a kick in the pants exposure-wise. I think I see what you're going for with the fence holes being square and the flying ball being circle.. or is the fence part just coincidence? The people on the other side of the fence keep pulling my focus from the ball. :( If you have more photo below your current crop you might try recropping to try and minimize those people and bring a bit more of the hitter in.

Concept-wise, I think it's a "home-run"! hehe, I couldn't resist.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Well.. if you have a bokeh program I would suggest throwing some bokeh on that background to make the kid and the ball pop into focus.. if you don't, I suggest back to the drawing board. It is just too busy and the crop is all wrong..

If you decide to shoot for it, the best advice I can give is to try and blur the background out and then crop that second kid out.. but that is going to make for an overly tight composition and may not work..

I agree with Airthom.. Good concept for sure..thumb.gifrofl

Kat
  • mrleomrleo Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2009
    Thanks for the advice, I think that might be too much work for me, as I don't know that much about PS yet. I just got it last week so I have a steep learning curve with it.

Thanks again.
    edited June 19, 2009
    Here was the first snap of the series. I think this one is a little better. It is uncropped and untouched, straight from the camera.

567860463_oThcN-M.jpg
    edited June 19, 2009
    Alrighty, I applied some newly learned Bokeh skills to a couple of the photo's I was thinking of entering in the DSS contest. What do you guys and gals think of the updated pics.

Here is the first remake.

568602490_TXHiE-M.jpg

Here is the second remake

568601481_siTpZ-M.jpg

Thank you all again for the help
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    You definitely worked on cleaning it up there.. nice job.. :D I am going to be up front and say put it on the back burner. Take the weekend if you can, and go around and look for circles and squares. They are all around.. See what you can find.. Then you always have this one to fall back on..

I like your idea here; but it will not be a super strong entry with this composition.. But that is just my own humble opinion, and there are others on here who may very well disagree with me..

Good Luck with it.. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifand you are further along than I am. I have yet to find something I am happy with on my end, and that is after a full night shooting..

Kat