My thoughts on the challenge

Desert DreamsDesert Dreams Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited June 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is a shot i think may be worthy to enter what do you think? I`ll have to go reshoot so it is a fresh shot but that shouldn`t be a problem.3640602682_780cb97255_o.jpg

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    I think it is very theme worthy..:D

However,, it is too yellow so on the re-shoot get some light on it, or set your camera to take in more light. The yellow makes it depressing and flat with no contrast capability and really brings out the reds in a negative way..

I am not personally fond of this current composition... when you re-shoot be sure to back up and then close in and move side to side and give yourself different composition choices..

Other than that,, I think you are on the right path and it is a strong entry theme wise... That's my two cents worth of advice..Best of luck to you...thumb.gif

Kat

P.S. This is a tough one, because if you meter for the hole like you did, then you get underexposure, and if you meter for the brick then you end up with a blown out hole. I am not sure what to say............. other than hopefully someone more technically ""camera"" skilled can help you out on what to do to avoid that.. With skies you can use a gradient lens filter, but not sure how to avoid it with a hole... hmmmm.. The best I can say is set your camera to partial metering..
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    P.S. This is a tough one, because if you meter for the hole like you did, then you get underexposure, and if you meter for the brick then you end up with a blown out hole. I am not sure what to say............. other than hopefully someone more technically ""camera"" skilled can help you out on what to do to avoid that.. With skies you can use a gradient lens filter, but not sure how to avoid it with a hole... hmmmm.. The best I can say is set your camera to partial metering..
    Maybe a case for a little HDR work? Those are allowed in the challenge, as long as you have EXIF data, right?
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    I think this shot has potential. thumb.gif

It's tough to get the exposure right so that you can see the stone walls and what's on the other side of that circular opening.

But why not use this to your advantage? Get the exposure off the lighted opening. You'll have a circular frame surrounding whatever it is on the other side. The rest will be dark, but it's the circular item you need for this challenge. So, why not use the circular opening to create a natural frame? mwink.gif
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Yep Moose.. HDR is allowed as long as the exif's are included..

I wanted to post one more idea.. I don't know why I did not think of it... Linda brought it to my attention. If you have any experience at photoshop, you can just take a picture of that hole with the exposure set for the hole, and then take another with the exposure set for the brick, and then just bring the hole shot in on a layer and paint it in with a mask.. and even a step further, you can go outside and take a pretty sky photo with clouds and blue in it and just mask that in too.. Just be sure both photos of brick and sky are taken within the contest period and that you attach both as exif's when you enter your photo..

Or what Linda or Moose said, those would work too..thumb.gif

Good Luck with it..

Kat