Just a Kiln (I think)

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited June 26, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
568151216_GD6hG-L.jpg

I think this is a kiln. Captured with an IR-converted Nikon D70s.
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Nice one jeff. I love the vegetation growing out of the top. thumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Nice one jeff. I love the vegetation growing out of the top. thumb.gif

Thank you, Jack. Does anyone know if this really is a kiln?
    Jeff Meyers
  • MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    As a country boy trapped in the city... That sure looks like an old grain silo.

Great pic!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Thank you, Jack. Does anyone know if this really is a kiln?

I'm going with silo. The iron rungs up the left side indicate there was a need to climb to the top. The vertical sides indicate that it was built for storage.

There are some similar constructions down here where there are the ruins of sugar or rice mills. They were furnaces, though, not as wide, and tapered to the top. Usually, if it's a furnace, there are other ruins around the site.

Silos stood alone. I've seen glazed block silos that were built before present-day concrete casting methods were practical. They were built from the ground up as opposed to pouring concrete down into forms. They didn't have the high-reach equipment to pour down.

Knowing where in the country it was shot would give some indication.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    I'm also going with silo. I see no evidence of fire (there's no soot anywhere on it) and that's a wooden door where the firebox would be on a kiln; not exactly a good idea where high temperatures are involved.

Whatever it is, that's a very well done photo. I really like it. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited June 21, 2009
    Okay. Okay. I give in. It's a silo! Thank you for the gracious comments, everyone!
    Jeff Meyers
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    As a young lad, I worked on quite a few farms, and that is definately a silo. For a long time, farmers would use these to store chopped up green corn stalks, often called silage. This was fed to the cattle. The common problem with silage was as it would dry in the silo, it would produce a lot of heat, and eventually combust. If the silo was connected to the barn, and if it caught fire, it would also burn down the barn. That is why you now see them a fair distance from the barn. Those who couldn't afford to build a silo, would simply dig a huge trench, line it with plastic, insert the silage, then cover it with plastic, and then cover that with dirt. Then as they needed some, they just dug the dirt back a little, pull the plastic back and take what they needed.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I was thinking a kiln in the middle of the field would be a bit out of place, but a (spontaneously self-combusting) silo fits better :D

Nice shot of it too :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited June 26, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    I was thinking a kiln in the middle of the field would be a bit out of place, but a (spontaneously self-combusting) silo fits better :D

Nice shot of it too :D

Good point. This silo is actually right next to an old farmhouse. I just isolated it in this shot. That's what one thing that made me think it might be a kiln.
    Jeff Meyers