Step up?

SirbeySirbey Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 21, 2009 in Cameras
I currently am shooting with a Canon 20D. I am considering buying a new Canon with a better LCD Screen. I am looking at Xsi or 50D. Leaning towards the 50D. Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Well the xsi would be backwards would it not, as it is a rebel correct??

I would be heading for the 50D.....always move FORWARD.........thumb.gif

Or move waaaaay forward and,,,,,,,,,,,
    move UP to NIKON!!!:ivarwings.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

just couldn't resist........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 19, 2009
    Sirbey wrote:
    I currently am shooting with a Canon 20D. I am considering buying a new Canon with a better LCD Screen. I am looking at Xsi or 50D. Leaning towards the 50D. Can anyone offer any advice?

Sirbey, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I have to say that this is the first time I have ever heard of someone wanting to upgrade solely for a better LCD.

If you use ISO 3200 then you would appreciate the 50D, since the XSi doesn't go higher than ISO 1600. The 50D is a step up in several other ways too, but if the LCD is your only interest then yes, the XSi has a pretty nice LCD display.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Another option is to save some $ and get the 40D.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    The screen on the xsi is a thing of beauty - it was one of the selling points when I upgraded!

While the xsi is indeed a Rebel, it's also kind of a "40d lite" - it has many of the same features and uses the same image processor as its prosumer cousin. The 40d's low-light/high ISO performance is better, but other than that I think the xsi holds its own quite nicely (there are many reviews only from pros who have an xsi when they want to travel lite, and have been impressed by what it delivers)

I actually chose the xsi over the 40d because it was lighter and fit my hands better - I've been very VERY happy with my decision. Try a hands-on of both of them - coming from a 30D the xsi may feel a bit dinky to you - it works for me, but I prefer a lighterweight machine when possible (and even with the grip I can still hold my xsi with one hand when needed, so it's worked well for me!)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Sirbey wrote:
    I have just a couple of questions that I think will lead you down the right path:

1. Why? Why is a nice pretty LCD screen so important? What functionality would one of these offer you that would ease the task of making photographs that the 20D does not offer?

2. Much the same question ... Is thre something about the 20D that is limiting you in your photographic "career"? Is there a functional need you have that is not met by the 20D but would be by either the Xsi or the 50D?

If you are suffering from a serious case of the "gotta haves", then maybe now is not the right time to upgrade your camera body. Maybe a new lens instead?

But, if you know of a limit in the 20D that you have been running into, a limit that is getting in the way of making photographs the way you want to make them, then maybe a camera upgrade is reasonable.

All of that having been said, I love the 50D and can strongly recommend it. They are much easier to use then is anything from the Rebel series and very much like your 20D (I still have one, so I know) that you are already used to using.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I have just a couple of questions that I think will lead you down the right path:

1. Why? Why is a nice pretty LCD screen so important? What functionality would one of these offer you that would ease the task of making photographs that the 20D does not offer?

2. Much the same question ... Is thre something about the 20D that is limiting you in your photographic "career"? Is there a functional need you have that is not met by the 20D but would be by either the Xsi or the 50D?

If you are suffering from a serious case of the "gotta haves", then maybe now is not the right time to upgrade your camera body. Maybe a new lens instead?

But, if you know of a limit in the 20D that you have been running into, a limit that is getting in the way of making photographs the way you want to make them, then maybe a camera upgrade is reasonable.

All of that having been said, I love the 50D and can strongly recommend it. They are much easier to use then is anything from the Rebel series and very much like your 20D (I still have one, so I know) that you are already used to using.
    Wise words.