Options

Dell 2005FPW Feedback?

asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
edited June 17, 2005 in Accessories
Hello - I'm a lurker who's finally got something to post (er..ask) about.

At work Dell accidentally sent us some 2005FPW's - Dell's 20" widescreen flat panels. We don't want them, but Dell's offering to knock the price down if we keep them...this all ends with the office saying we're either sending them back or letting employees buy them to take home.

So, I can get one of these for $411, which seems like a steal to me. Does anyone here have one? (Nikolai? I think I saw your name when I searched) I've read all sorts of reviews and user feedback and it seems fairly positive all around, but I really want to hear what digital photographers think - I've been wanting a new monitor for quite awhile now because the color on my current CRT is really really really bad. I'm only an amateur photographer / image editor, but I want to know what y'all think of the quality of this monitor, because I want something that'll be good for looking at and working with my photos (..and gaming, and watching movies, but I've already checked up on those bits :D).

Thanks in advance, and it's good to be here. :)

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited June 17, 2005
    Welcome to the forum asd!

When you've got a moment, why not take a look at the User Control Panel and see what's
    available to you in the way of customization.

Look forward to your contributions!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    asd wrote:
    Hello - I'm a lurker who's finally got something to post (er..ask) about.

At work Dell accidentally sent us some 2005FPW's - Dell's 20" widescreen flat panels. We don't want them, but Dell's offering to knock the price down if we keep them...this all ends with the office saying we're either sending them back or letting employees buy them to take home.

So, I can get one of these for $411, which seems like a steal to me. Does anyone here have one? (Nikolai? I think I saw your name when I searched) I've read all sorts of reviews and user feedback and it seems fairly positive all around, but I really want to hear what digital photographers think - I've been wanting a new monitor for quite awhile now because the color on my current CRT is really really really bad. I'm only an amateur photographer / image editor, but I want to know what y'all think of the quality of this monitor, because I want something that'll be good for looking at and working with my photos (..and gaming, and watching movies, but I've already checked up on those bits :D).

Thanks in advance, and it's good to be here. :)
    All I can tell you is that if you dont want it for $411... I sure as heck would buy it off you :D I dont know how well it does for photography, but it does wonders for Half-Life 2. Let me know if your company wants to sell another thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Welcome to Dgrin!
    If you can get one for $400 - it IS as steal.thumb.gif
    I got mine in the end of January 2005. I posted a few shots on it here. So far I like it a lot. It's great with PS - you have enough screen real estate to maximize the image AND still have all the tools fully visible.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Ummmmmmm... Errrrr... SNAG!!! Get two if you can afford it...

Being honest, I don't know anything about this monitor... But if it lasts 2 years, like my ViewSonic PF790 which I spent just a bit more than this for, it's worth every penny. I'm not so much looking at the quality... but you can't beat that price!!!

Actually, I found this rating. And, here are a few more...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Hl2
    BridgeCity wrote:
    All I can tell you is that if you dont want it for $411... I sure as heck would buy it off you :D I dont know how well it does for photography, but it does wonders for Half-Life 2. Let me know if your company wants to sell another thumb.gif
    Totally! Especially with the surround sound:-)
    BTW, asd, if you have a bunch of them, I'd also buy 3 or 4 for this price:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Totally! Especially with the surround sound:-)
    BTW, asd, if you have a bunch of them, I'd also buy 3 or 4 for this price:-)
    I called one first! :D
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    And I'm close enough to go get one this weekend!
  • Options
    asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    And I'm close enough to go get one this weekend!
    Thanks, all, for the warm welcome and quick responses. I was leaning (ok, tumbling, falling, plummeting) toward taking one and just wanted to make sure there weren't any horror stories about it having really bad color or something. I'll have to put up some Half Life 2 photos of it when I replay the game on the new monitor. icon10.gif

As for there being extras...I doubt it. There are only 3 to begin with and several coworkers expressed interest in them today when we were talking about them.

Nikolai - Cool; I didn't know you'd put up photos. Thanks for the link..

ian - Thanks, and I'll definitely poke around.

luckyrwe - headscratch.gifne_nau.gif